Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DesignSpark - Etching Test File

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Hi All,

Does anyone have a test board design, which can be used to test the accuracy of the etching process for diy pcbs?

Something like this:

3579107328_4c5d40632e.jpg

Thanks,
Ash

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Hello !
Into the PCB "busyness" i see :)

I personally dont have one but why dont you desing your own test pcb ? It is easy.

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
Hello !
Into the PCB "busyness" i see :)

Yeah :rolleyes: I was planning to start making a few of my own. Which would go hand-in-hand with my final year project in university next year!

I created my own UV light box in a metal housing. It has a programmable timer connected to a relay, so I can switch on/off the UV at a precised time. Really nice will add pictures later if you wish.

It's my first time using design spark. I want to see how accurate the traces come out, but can't guarantee my own accuracy :confused:

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
UV sensitive PCB's are very nice but expensive. If you practice this method you will get good resaults but it does take practice.

Good luck my friend !

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
I will be using copper clad board, I have photo-resist which i can apply myself. Hopefully will be much cheaper.

What PCB software do you use Constantine?

I'm trying to use designspark but when I place a component it doesn't show the solder pads.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
I use expressPCB. it is very simple to use though i would not recomment it for complicated boards.

Eagle is the best if you are willing to spend time to learn how to use it !

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Bad thing with ExpressPcb is it's limited component's database. You can assemble and save custom components though.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Very nice :)

You could also include a field plane in part of the board if you like (say the center part). I think that would make it look better.

marduk

May 21, 2016
I use free pcb http://www.freepcb.com/ but I still use XP as my XP machine has more graphics power than my laptop. Not sure how the software would work on new stuff. Make sure you read the whole page as there's some library stuff that you need to copy into the program folders. The FreeRoute autoroute software went missing because of a code dispute but you will find links to it on a famous forum started by an Aussie electronics guy.

If you go with free pcb you may find you use the board outline function to draw construction lines to help layout part placements. If you do this remember to not click on view/ show board outline because it will crash. Delete any construction lines when you have finished with them. Other than this it's fine and best of all free.

If free pcb isn't to your liking or not up to date enough for your machine then try http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html
If you are making your own boards then I really think that starting with a schematic is a waste of your valuable time, then you have to assign footprints on a different page, then drop everything into a board level design and bla bla. With freepcb and sprint you just start designing the board straight away and almost everything is done in the same window. I tried designspark and found it annoying especially how it sometimes decides not to save your work because you aren't connected to a network even though the software is supposed to work offline it will have a meltdown every now and again.