Connect with us

Designing a soldering iron for limited dexterity

Discussion in 'Project Construction Technologies' started by chriskalo, Feb 21, 2021.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. chriskalo

chriskalo

Feb 21, 2021
    Hi, I’m a student at Imperial College London studying Design Engineering. Three other students and I want to design a new soldering iron for people with limited dexterity, and more generally for everyone who would like soldering to be less fiddly. We find that even though we do not have limited dexterity soldering can be hard and we often get bad solder joints; so can only imagine what it’s like for those who do.

I wanted to message this forum in case anyone was interested in getting involved, either because you have limited dexterity (from age, disability, or anything really), or because you have some comments you’d like to share. At this stage we are not expecting any commitment, just any help we’d really appreciate!

Thank you very much,
    Chris

2. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Hi Chris, although I think this is a great idea, I also think it’s far from being practical.
    Given that soldering is never the same item nor the same area, it’s sometimes difficult without dexterity problems.
    If you’re referring to a production line scenario, dedicated tooling can be designed.

Martin

3. chriskalo

chriskalo

Feb 21, 2021
    Hi Martin,
    Yes that is true it's a very hard problem to solve due to how diverse soldering can be. I suppose that could make it an interesting product because there is a problem with no obvious practical way to solve it yet. We are going to try and talk to a lot of people and find the root of the problem. But your point made me think maybe we should focus on beginners and hobbyists who will mainly be dealing with through hole soldering with largish components.

4. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    I think you may need to start with collecting data from individuals who want to be able to solder. ie: missing limb, arthritis, gout, Parkinson’s or any other condition/disease.
    Then concentrate on one design for one specific problem. This won’t be a one fix cures all.
    Very difficult in my opinion.

Martin

5. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    For how much longer, I wonder? The trend these days, at least in commercial products, is to use surface-mount components rather than through-hole ones. The latter are getting more difficult to source. A tool which simplified the soldering of surface-mount components would be really useful.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Check out the guy who made a pool cue that does magic to mean you can't miss.

I can just imagine a soldering iron like that.

chriskalo likes this.
  7. Martaine2005

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
    Funny you should mention that.
    I watched this one on Thursday.

Martin

chriskalo likes this.
Ask a Question