Connect with us

Designing a high frequency H-Bridge

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Heisenberg, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Aug 26, 2014
    Hello, I am rather a newbie in electronics but nonetheless i decided to get my feet wet by making a high frequency H-Bridge that's going to drive a high frequency transformer to make high voltage ( Most probably a flyback or a self wound one which is a regular AC transformer )
    Currently i have.
    A GDT core.
    Two 120N60 IGBTs
    A multimeter, A soldering iron
    And a Flyback

So.. I have decided to use a 555 timer to control the IGBTs,
    I found this circuit
    [​IMG]
    And i decided to use potentiometers to change frequency/duty cycle according to my flyback's resonance

Then i read about mosfet/igbt gate drivers, I found only one kind available locally which is the IR 2112
    http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir2112.pdf <--- Datasheet
    And according to my datasheet i figured i'd do something like this to it
    [​IMG]
    And then just use it to drive my 2 IGBTs like shown in the datasheet, Is all that stuff correct?

Also i have a question, Is a Gate Drive Transformer necessary for this chip? I realize it gives isolation but i read that this chip can have 600Volts on the HI side, Doesn't that make the GDT useless o_O?

Also as far as i went, This is the bridge i think i'd be using
    [​IMG]

So, I tried to give as much details as i can, Would this work or blow up? :D

2. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    Try to use IR2153PBF. It's a combination of Oscillator and a H-Driver.

Ask a Question