Connect with us

Designing a counter with an arbitrary sequence?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Ritzerk, Dec 1, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Ritzerk

Ritzerk

Dec 1, 2017
    Hello I saw the following question on Quora: https://www.quora.com/The-minimum-n...ount-sequence-0-0-1-1-2-2-3-3-0-0-is-________

The answers posted do not make much sense to me with the same problem. I also got a sequence where numbers repeat themselves, one of the numbers transitions once to another number, and then another time to another number.

I tried to do a transition diagram using JK flip flop, but found for one of the k-maps (so far) it could create two possible outputs depending on to which number we transitioning to. If I go from 1st x to y then K = 1, If I go from 2nd x to h, then K = 0.

I cant possible get a simplified equation from that kmap...

I wanted to use the first idea in that question which was to use an extra bit. But then it means that I'd have 5 flip flops in total, and that my number x for the 1st time, but then, assuming I now have 5 bits here the first bit is 1, I am increasing x by 16, so x+16 will be the output... but I actually need x to be the output, clearly not x +16. I have my output table in the state table as well, and the output should be the result of the present state variables. The max number in my sequence of 7 numbers is 9 (which is why I need 5 bits...)

Again, I never designed a k-map with 5 variables. I think it is possible but I'd have to research and it would really complicate everything if I had 5 variable of course...

Every other answer there I simply do not understand. I am a beginner to electronics.

How would I do this? I was trying to follow these series of videos:

But again it is for no vain.

I cannot specify more about my number because this is coursework.

I really appreciate any feedback I can get. I am sorry if I were not clear enough about what I was talking about when trying to explain my issue. I hope you can spare some time and help me with my issue. It is much appreciated.

2. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    Welcome to EP,
    you can post as much info as you think is needed to make the issue clear.
    The number is indeed 3 Flops.2 bits for the output and 1 to "help" transitions.
    Why doesn't it make sense to you?

It is not clear, in what case do you need 5?
    And Yes a 5 bit Karnaugh map is possible to solve,but we rarely use the K-map for more than 4 bits.
    There are ways to do it.

A note:
    What is called an "Arbitrary sequence generator" isn't what the video shows.
    This would be a "machine" that can create a true arbitrary sequence(with known limits of length and width) without the need to redesign the circuit for a different sequence.

Ask a Question