Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Denon AVR-1912 E2/EA

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
NO, not the same instruction. For remote Id you first hit power then hold the other buttons for 3 seconds. Sounds like you need to simultaneously hit all three. Try playing with it until you see the Q lights come on.
Yes, it's the AVR buttons, not the remote buttons.

Thanks, John. Doing this I got the three [Q1] [Q2] [Q3] on the FL screen + STEREO + VAUX - nothing else is on the FL screen. What do I do now, please? Michael Studio1 12:45BST 28-06-2018

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Follow the steps mentioned therein (turning off zone 2....etc.) The AVR should direct audio like fig 7 shows.
Once you've done this try and see if you get analog through to the amp.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Follow the steps mentioned therein (turning off zone 2....etc.) The AVR should direct audio like fig 7 shows.
Once you've done this try and see if you get analog through to the amp.

Thanks, John. I think I must be looking at a different set of instructions - for (unless I'm pretty dense - which seems likely) I cannot see the steps you mention ("therein" = "wherein"?) How do I 'turn off Zone 2'? I have Fig.7 Page35. Could you walk-me-through the steps? Please refer to Page #'s &c. I think I have a mental block on this area! Still looking for that 'Eureka' moment!! Michael 13:07BST - what on earth time are you on?

Last edited:

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
So, this is what I have done in the Lab. With the AVR still showing [Q1] [Q2] [Q3] I have moved my attention to the top of Page28. In the 'Panel' there Confirmation Item 1.ref.[fig.7] FL Display = AO1 VAUX (noting what it says in ''Contents of confirmation" - at the end 'you can switch from DVD &c' so I did - I switched to VAUX and had the Sig Gen. plugged in to give 700cps=RCh. & 500cps=LCh. I went through the instructions: 1.Press [AMP] 2.Press [Zone Select], Select Zone2 [Z2] 3.Press [ZONE OFF] - these buttons I found at the bottom of the Remote: [ZONE] with an 'Off Switch' mark. 4.Press [ZONE SELECT], Select "MAIN" so I pressed the [ZONE] button until [M] lit up.5.Press [7PQRS] 4 - and this is where it doesn't make sense as I have already followed a '4.Press' . . . . However at this point I decided to check the Digital Tones at the U8 and found that combined tone of the two frequencies going IN (pin100) but not coming OUT (pin86) Therefore I rechecked the DA3.3V (pin45) and the DA1.1V (pin133) ref. DGND. All was OK. Where have I gone wrong now?? Michael Studio1 UK 14:41BST 28-06-2108

Last edited by a moderator:

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Look at the red lines on fig 7 of page 35.

ANALOG inputs 1- 6 are passed through IC801 and sent on to amp. Forget everything except IC801.
Make sure you use one of these inputs and if it doesn't output to amp you need to look at IC801.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Look at the red lines on fig 7 of page 35.

ANALOG inputs 1- 6 are passed through IC801 and sent on to amp. Forget everything except IC801.
Make sure you use one of these inputs and if it doesn't output to amp you need to look at IC801.
Thanks, John. Great help. Audio passes through IC801 twice. 1st time as analog to IC30, 2nd time as (DAFL and DAFR) from IC29 the DAC (page 126). Excuse me harping on the Digital Input to U8 (page125) and being able to hear it at pin100 and pin103 and the non-appearance of the Digital Signal at U8 pin86 -> IC29 pin14 (DATAF). Sorry, my mind is elsewhere. I have a big Orchestral recording session tomorrow and I'm sorting out all the equipment I need to take and set up - Calrec Soundfield Mic in M&S (middle and side) configuration and three Electro-Voice RE55's which are Omni (flat response from 40 - 20,000cps!) dynamic mics in 'in-line' array. Recording to Digital. I shall return to the AVR over the week-end. Michael Studio1 UK 19:11BST 28-06-2018

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Recording a great success. Back to the AVR. Having followed the analog to IC30 I then checked the Digital OUT at pin9. With the Audio Amp I probed pin9 and HEARD the mix of both L&R Signal Tones at pin9. I did a short cut then to the next IC in the path which was accessible - i.e. on the COMPONENT_SIDE: IC22. The Combined tones were audible at DIGI - IN Pin44 and DIGI - OUT pin34. On to U8. The tones are audible at both Pin100 & Pin103. They are NOT audible at Pin86 [DATAF>. Needless to say there is no Audible signal at Digital IN IC801 (Pin93) or at FLOUT (Pin21) or at FROUT (Pin23) Therefore either U8 is a switching component or it is 'fried'. ?? Michael Studio1 UK 11:26BST 30-06-2018

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Congrats on the recording session.

As to the AVR, I thought we were first trying to follow the analog path that's illustrated on page 35? We need to be on the same page here or we're both wasting time.

After first entering diagnostic mode, try to follow what it says under section 4.5 for item 1 (fig7)on page 28.
Do you see the red lines in fig 7? Try to say focused on that for now.
None of the other ICs aside from IC801 should enter the picture for analog.
Also make sure your audio input is Analog In1,2,..etc. According to fig 7.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Congrats on the recording session.

As to the AVR, I thought we were first trying to follow the analog path that's illustrated on page 35? We need to be on the same page here or we're both wasting time.

After first entering diagnostic mode, try to follow what it says under section 4.5 for item 1 (fig7)on page 28.
Do you see the red lines in fig 7? Try to say focused on that for now.
None of the other ICs aside from IC801 should enter the picture for analog.
Also make sure your audio input is Analog In1,2,..etc. According to fig 7.

Thanks, John. We have made great progress here yesterday - my Son Maxim and I - He's down from University for the week-end to play (Viola) in the Orchestra we recorded. We are both following the analog path on Page35 The six paths are only enumerated but have no ID and I'm assuming one of those analog paths is VAUX. We managed to make sense of the setup and got the AVR connected up to the internet and downloaded the latest firmware. We also were able to follow music signals from a USB memorystick right through to IC29. But there it stopped. Strangely the SIgnal Tones into VAUX still only get as far as U8 but the Music went right through to IC29 - as I said. Sorry - we went off on a tangent and connected the MONITOR OUT HDMI socket through an adaptor to the Lab Acer Monitor screen and are now able to view the friendly opening AVR setup screen. The Sig.Gen. is plugged into BD (Blueray Disk?) and the FL screen immediately showed STEREO BD. I can see Page35 shows your By-Pass Cct. but the Signal Tones are not appearing at FL or FR and neither are they getting to the 7CHANNEL_AMP CN/CP401. Maybe we are looking towards getting a replacement HMDI_B'D Michael Studio1 UK 08:08BST 01-07-2018

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Have you done the speaker setup where you plug the Denon's mic into it and and get it to set sound levels.?
I see some onkyo's wouldn't make a peep until speaker setup done

Hello, Dries - What's an onkyo?? Must be one of those acronyms which mean something? But - No. I haven't done the speaker setup because the AVR doesn't work and nothing is getting even to the 7CHANNEL_AMP let alone through it! But are you suggesting that maybe the signals aren't getting through because the Speaker Setup hasn't been done - and possibly will get through if they are? Interesting. The only thing I've done about the 7CHANNEL_AMP is on Page56 following replacing two of the Power Transistors and high-current low Ω associated resistors. And this AVR didn't come with a Microphone - I haven't put my mind to querying what sort of Mic it is yet - but I doubt I haven't got one that will do the job! In the event it is necessary for the HDMI_B'D to be replaced I don't know two things: 1. whether they are obtainable 2. whether the UK requirements of receiving T/v is different from the USA. and whether this implies a different HDMI_B'D. Michael Studio1 UK 13:25BST 01-07-2018

Last edited:

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
Hi Michael
Onkyo is another manufacturer like Denon, Yamaha, Nakamichi et al

May I respectfully request you to rtfm pg 13 of the user manual - "Set up speakers" ;) If you don't have the microphone that is another bit of the Denon you are missing. I don't know if another microphone can be substituted

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Hi Michael
Onkyo is another manufacturer like Denon, Yamaha, Nakamichi et al

May I respectfully request you to rtfm pg 13 of the user manual - "Set up speakers" ;) If you don't have the microphone that is another bit of the Denon you are missing. I don't know if another microphone can be substituted

Thanks, Dries. It seems I was wrong - Maxim did the Speaker Setup 'manually' he just told me. As you say: Page13 of the User Manual. Now he's off back to University, London. Michael.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
, I'm assuming one of those analog paths is VAUX.

I wouldn't assume that. When I hear Vaux I'm assuming auxiliary video that's digital.

Try using an RCA jack and plug it into where it says "Audio" on the back. Only Analog audio is what we are asking it feed through while I that section (1) of diagnostic mode. Looking at other paths is pointless.

If speakers were set-up manually that should be good enough.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
I wouldn't assume that. When I hear Vaux I'm assuming auxiliary video that's digital.

Try using an RCA jack and plug it into where it says "Audio" on the back. Only Analog audio is what we are asking it feed through while I that section (1) of diagnostic mode. Looking at other paths is pointless.

If speakers were set-up manually that should be good enough.

Thank you John. My 'problem' in following - or attempting to follow any one of the six analog inputs is probably a simple one. Whereas in fig.7 on Page35 the ANALOG IN, six in number, are merely attributed a Number. With the rear panel in my hand I can search until Kingdom Come for Analog 1 - 6 and not see them thus attributed. There they are accorded: BD, SAT/CBL, CD, DVD, DOCK. That's five. Where, if it's of any importance is number six? Maybe I'm being too pedantic but I think it's an important question for, without knowing precisely, how can I be sure of feeding Signals into the correct Analog Input? And the interesting feature of fig7, Page35 is that, according to the red lining, it matters not which of the six inputs has the Signal for all by-pass the two stages A/D and D/A, landing up at the input of the 7CHANNEL_AMP. it would seem. Casting caution to the winds and inserting the Sig.Gen. Output into, say, BD, there is but one open switch in IC801 which needs to be closed in order that the signal can take this path and enter the 7CHANNEL_AMP. But how to actuate that switch? Should this action take place whilst IN Diagnostic Mode Page28, Confirmation Item 1, Analog (signal) path? To do this I will need to restart the AVR whilst holding down PRESET CHANNEL1+STATUS according to the instructions on Page19 Mode 10. Am I thinking along the right lines? Michael Studio1 UK 20:23BST 01-07-2018

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I know what you mean about there only being 5, but that's where I believe you need to be inputting your analog audio.

Remember, It does say 2 channel audio (L and R). HDMI is not Analog.
I would try all of the 2 channel inputs and make sure your in that diagnostic mode.

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
I know what you mean about there only being 5, but that's where I believe you need to be inputting your analog audio.

Remember, It does say 2 channel audio (L and R). HDMI is not Analog.
I would try all of the 2 channel inputs and make sure your in that diagnostic mode.

Thank you, John. Yes I shall follow that L&R today (and see what happens!) Michael

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
I'm having a tough time in 'SPECIAL MODE' Page19. This 'Mode 10' and 'Mode 11' issue: since both Modes use the very same access: Button 'A' = PRESET CHANNEL 1 and Button 'B' = STATUS. It automatically sets up [ REMOTE ? ] and no-way can I get into Diagnostic mode. Does anyone know how this is done? Michael Studio1 UK 11:26BST 02-07-2018

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Do it however you did it before,(pushing 3 buttons together) Whatever you did that made Q1,Q2,Q3 light up on the display.
Then, follow item 1steps again.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Ic801 seems to be doing its job of switching, so there's no reason to believe it won't switch the analog input through to the amp provided diagnostic mode item 1 is followed.

(I'm crossing my fingers)