Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Delta ADP-60bf Power Supply Problem

aglasser

Jul 10, 2011
I have a Viewsonic vp211b flat panel display that's roughly 10 years old (it's still an awesome monitor.)

The other day it completely shut off. No picture, no power indicator led. Nada. I had to unplug it, wait 2 minutes or so and then plug it back in for it to work for another 45 minutes or so. At which point I would have to repeat the process.

After getting tired of it, I opened the thing up and took the power supply board out thinking it was a thermal/overheating issue. I noticed one of the 3 capacitors was bulging at the top. I figured this is what was causing this thing to overheat and turn off ever hour or so.

The question is, would a blown capacitor cause this behavior? Nothing else "looks" bad on the PS board.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi
welcome to the forums

its a very common problem, they just do it all on their lonesome, generally caused by a lot of heat in the area of the board where the cap(s) are located.
ie.... next to power transistors, voltage regulators etc
The electrolyte inside the cap dries out and or starts expanding with heat... either way, end result, the cap fails... replacing it and maybe a few others in that part of the cct will most likely restore operation :)

some really obviously bulge and split open, others just slightly. others dont, they just dry out and cease to function as required.

cheers
Dave