Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dell monitor sometimes dead (E2210H)

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
So basically, this monitor was fine until it started not turning on again after it had been turned off. It did not matter how long it had been left off for, the only way to get it to work was by disconnecting the power and reconnecting it. I cannot see any problems with the boards, except the larger one appear quite discoloured on the underside.

Any suggestions?

100_1407.JPG 100_1404.JPG 100_1405.JPG 100_1406.JPG

Dell E2210H that I got second hand
Unknown age

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
EK61 . . . . . . .

Initially try this . . . wherein the monitor is still intact . . . . being able to have video, even if from induced menu . . .and the set can be turned on.
Is there a LED illumination lamp normally associated with the off on switch so that you can confirm that there is a switching /contact action positively confirmed when the power button is FIRMLY pressed in ?
( Some of these units panels warp such that this plate won't press in far enough to touch its associated tact switch button.)
If no question on that mechanical / electrical interfacing aspect . . .then:

Have access to the power board section and Initially note its quasi centrally located big "Jellow" colored switch mode power supply transformer.
Take note of those 6 GREEN circled capacitors that surround it.
Sneak off and confiscate Mamma Cass's blow drier . . .flip to high heat and run a fast running CIRCLE in heating up the mentioned caps.
DON"T melt the plastic . . .just bring their temperature up for about 1 -2 minutes.
Set down the drier and try the power switch of the monitor.
If you are then rewarded with a display, those caps need to be replaced with like values in a rugged 105 degree Cent temp rating.

I cannot see any problems with the boards, except the larger one appear quite discoloured on the underside.

That is the area being just below that hard working yellow transformer that I mentioned earlier.

Standing by

TECHNO REFERENCING:

KMer8gT.jpg

73's de Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

EK61

Jan 5, 2014
Ok, so like 90% of the electronic devices I've tried to fix, opening it was all it took to fix it. The monitor appears to work perfectly now. Perhaps the internal wiring was not making contact perfectly, or maybe it's just the heat of long term use that causes the problems. I'll reassemble it and see if problems persist.

By the way I have 3 of these things, so I could always mix and match boards to troubleshoot.

Thanks

Kent

Nov 8, 2016
I've got 2 of these with the same issue. They run for a while and then black screen. Did you fix all of yours?

Kent

Nov 8, 2016
I fixed mine. 1 bad cap on the video board. The same one on both monitors.
dell_e221h.png

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
For the benefit of others . . . .
How about either of you that have open viewing access . . . . .passing the capacitive and voltage rating of that unit and its assigned Cxxx designation.
I can make out the C4xx assignment towards the U/P but the nearby power regulators suggest a C7xx assignment.

73s de Edd

Kent

Nov 8, 2016
I know very little about electronics.
The failed cap was an Elite 100uF 25v (circled in the pic). There were three on the board and one 10uF 50v. I only replaced the failed cap. The cap showed no signs of failure. I tested with a cheap ESR meter.