Connect with us

Define "form factor"

Discussion in 'Electronic Equipment' started by Dick Chambers, Aug 23, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. I have tried a search on Google, but no luck.

    My question concerns the "form factor" of a waveform that is basically
    sinusoidal, but which contains copious harmonics. Could you please either
    give me the official definition of "form factor" in this context, or refer
    me to a website or book where I can find the official definition?

    Richard Chambers Leeds UK.
  2. Anonymous.

    Anonymous. Guest

    It's many years since I have referred to "Electric Circuits" by Joseph
    Edminster in the "Schaum's Outline Series" (c) 1965 McGraw-Hill...

    Page 17 gives Form Factor as.....
    Ratio of effective (RMS) value to average value

    and If I transcribe correctly....

    sqrt((int (0,T)(y(t)^2)/T))/(int (0,T)(y(t))/T)

    where T is the cycle time.
    and int (0,T) (f(x)) is supposed the integral from 0 to T of f(x)

  3. Thank you for your help. This has enabled me to get to grips with the form
    factor, and (as an unexpected added bonus) to finally understand what the
    difference really is between a true RMS voltmeter and a mean-sensing
    voltmeter. Your help was much appreciated.

    Richard Chambers Leeds UK.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day