Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Deep clyle batttery bank full state of charge

brianwjohnston

Jan 27, 2010
Hi,

I am a newby to this forum and have a limited knowledge of electrochemistry.

I recently installed a small battery bank of two Exide hybrid marine group 31 deep cycle batteries 205 reserve minites,115 AH each(will be upgrading to three in 2 weeks).

The purpose of these batteries is to be used as household backup system for power failures.

The batteries are wired parallel and hooked up to a Xantrex 1875(1500W) modified sine wave inverter.

Charger is Statpower Truecharge 20 capable of charging up to 400 AH bank, automatic bulk, absorption and float, with a manual 15.6 V desulfation (mine will only be 345AH).

I just installed and charged the battery bank, and applied a 20A load (about 300 W AC from inverter).and noticed that the voltage only started at about 12.22 VDC (which I believe is already in a state of about 40% of discharge).

My intention is to not allow the batteries to go below 50% DOD (12.06 VDC), unless of an emergency.

I allowed the bank to drop to 11.6 VDC (80 DOD), and recharged.

I have done this for several consecutive days and I cannot for the life of me not understand why the bank does not start out at 12.6 to 12.7 (full charge).

On my previous bank of group 27 batteries, the voltage after (allowing the batteries to settle down from the float charge at 13.34 VDC) was always close to 12.6+ (for nearly 10 years).

The specific gravity in 5 of the 6 cells is 1.270 or better, and one cell is around 1.255.

Would it be a reasonable assessment that desulfation at 15.6 volts for 6 hours or so help to get the initial voltage up to 12.7 volts.

The float charge is 13.34 volts, the electrolyte levels are all above the plates.

The mfg dates on the batteries are May and June 2009, and charged only only now, can this be the culprit?

I hope I can get some assistance with my problem on this forum section, if I goofed and posted in the incorrect section, please let me know and I will transfer to the appropriate section.

Best regards,

BrianJ