Connect with us

Decrease Current

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dmallia, Apr 1, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. dmallia

dmallia

Apr 1, 2014
    I have an old cpu cooling fan that needs 12v dc voltage and 0.17 amps. I need to operate it with a tranformer, but the output current of the transformer is 0.5amp. Any ideas how I can reduce the amps or what I can do to operate the fan? I had a transformer that it's output was 0.2amps but I cannot find it. If I find it will the 0.03amps make a huge difference that can burn the fan? Thanks before hand.

2. kpatz

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
    As long as the voltage is correct (12V) the fan will only draw the amount of current it needs. So the 0.5 amp adapter will run your fan no problem and it won't burn it out.

Just make sure the "transformer" you're using puts out 12V DC and not AC. Most but not all "wall wart" adapters convert the power to DC.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. dmallia

dmallia

Apr 1, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. Yes the transformer output is 12V DC Voltage, since yesterday I checked it with the meter.

Ask a Question