Connect with us

Decoding Keyboard to PC. and logging

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by smokingwheels, Jun 3, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. smokingwheels

smokingwheels

Jun 3, 2011
    Hi I am in the process of writing a keystroke recorder that can playback the keystrokes on a separate pc on QuickBasic.

I record and decode the serial I/O lines of the ps2 port on the remote pc's printer port then when asked the program will playback the recorded keystrokes in time with when they were recorded, with the correct interface.

A use for such a program would be a very long and complex passwords for all the things we do on the net when logging in to a site and would save us having to type it in.

Another use is to set a baseline for a racing game when doing a track and using the keyboard on the remote pc to override the playback to get best laps etc hmm cheating???.

I would like to record the output only from the keyboard in one mode but the serial lines are bi-directional.

Would this circuit decode the signal from the pc on one comparatar and then the signal from the keyboard from the other?
    I would have to add a small resistor in series with the I/O data and clock lines then putting 2 back to back diodes across the resistor in order to still keep the signal going.
    I may have to add a smzith trigger to clean the comparator signal up.
    The frequency is anywhere from 10-50 khz witch is no problem for a printer port.

anyway here is the scetch
    [​IMG]

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What sort of keyboard are we talking? USB or PS/2?

3. smokingwheels

smokingwheels

Jun 3, 2011
    USB or PS2 interface

It should not matter if its a USB or PS2 because you can plug a usb keyboard into a ps2 port with an adapter and it still works ok so the clock and data signals must be compatible saying that I will have to connect one to my sound card up to record what goes on.
    You will need different connectors though or wire directly into the keyboard , I will have to test that?

I use Creative Sound cards with Wave Studio to look at the signal eg a 48 K Hz DSO AC coupled, have sent 5V digital signals into the line in for over 10 years now with no problems, Oh It does invert the signal when displayed, but that could be fixed.

just an up date
    Have got my sending program in Quick BASIC running with a 48 KHz clock on a Pentium 200 MMX printer port, but need a 2 G Hz PC to receive the signal.

Oh if you lower the clock frequency it may be possible to send output Via High quality MP3.. with correct interface but no protocol can be done so it may not work

Am working on protocol now and sending and receiving at the same time but not at 500 keys per second, though it is possible to send that many.

4. smokingwheels

smokingwheels

Jun 3, 2011
    Well its turned into a computer programmable keyboard now with some protocol and can type at 6000 WPM on PS2 port and 700 WPM for USB.
    I use it mainly for testing my YaCy Search Engine Peer.
    Yacy search page.JPG
    Its Free and open source for anyone to use.

Ask a Question