Connect with us

dead GE microwave oven

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by Chuck Chopp, Feb 23, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Chuck Chopp

    Chuck Chopp Guest

    I have a GE Profile combination microwave/convection oven mounted over my
    range top in my kitchen. This appliance came with the house when I moved in
    here, and the label inside the door frame on it indicates that it was mfg'd
    in 1994. It has been working fine for the past 5 years until I enountered a
    problem with it just within the last 2 weeks. It started with some
    occurrences of food not being properly heated even though I was cooking food
    in it using the same cooking time & power level settings that I had
    previously used to prepare the exact same type of food. Yesterday, the
    microwave stopped heating entirely.

    The digital clock, control keypad, fan, light, vent blower and convection
    oven functions still operate properly. However, there is no heating
    occurring when the microwave oven function is used. While the oven is
    supposed to be cooking with microwaves it now makes an odd buzzing noise
    that it previously did not make.

    What I'm wondering is given the type of combo oven this is, and its age, am
    I looking at repair bill that would be a significant portion of the
    replacement cost for a new microwave oven? Also, I'm looking at moving in
    the next 8 to 10 months so I really don't want to sink a whole lot of money
    into getting it fixed. I don't know if the magnetron tube itself has gone
    defective or if some other portion of the circuitry has failed, but I've
    heard that magnetron tubes are not inexpensive to replace.

    I figured I'd ask here before unmounting it from the wall/cabinet and
    hauling it to an appliance repair shop for an estimate.


    TIA,

    Chuck
     
  2. Sofie

    Sofie Guest

    Chuck Chopp:
    The only way to determine if repairing the problem you are having with your
    Microwave Oven is serious/expensive OR simple/inexpensive is for you to go
    ahead with your plan to TAKE it to a repair shop for an ESTIMATE of the
    repair cost..... that way you can make a decision with facts instead of
    internet or telephone guesses.
    The cover will have to come off and proper tests made to determine what the
    exact problem is.
    The inside of a Microwave Oven is easily the most dangerous piece of
    consumer electronics that is in your home and should only be opened up by a
    trained and experienced repair person.
     
  3. Lance Dyer

    Lance Dyer Guest

    check the door switches for proper operation and burn't connections
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-