Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Dead charging circuit on my pda keyboard.

J.B.

Mar 18, 2012
It's a dell axim x30 foldable keyboard.It just stopped charging one night.It was storming shortly before it happened so it may have been power surge.Looking at the circuit I see brown corrosion on what I'm assuming is a resistor.I traced it to the negative from the charger port.

I'm thinking it might be an easy fix but I don't know the specs of the one thats in there.How would one find that out?

I attached a couple pics.In the close up you can see the difference in the two side by side.

Thanks

Attachments

• 0318121132a.jpg
    0318121132a.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 171
  • 0318121212.jpg
    0318121212.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi JB
Welcome to the forums:)

from the VERY blurryness of your pics its quite hard to tell
but that brown stuff may just be solder flux

Dave

J.B.

Mar 18, 2012
Do you not think that's the problem is that what you mean?I honestly don't have a technical reason for thinking its bad, It just looked like some of the bum electronics I've seen.

I did some poking around and it turns out the L's, C's and R's indicate the component type.What I'm looking at is an inductor.I wasn't able to find much about them other than some hits for the Nintendo ds, and to determine the specs you need an oscilloscope.I was wondering if there was a standard for certain sizes but I couldn't seem to find any info on that either.I was thinking about salvaging one but I'm not going to try it if I can't find anything for sure.

Well I only paid 10 all together for the keyboard so I can probably live with it if I have to.

Oh I forgot to mention there wasn't any markings at all

DIYpowersupplyrepair

Mar 16, 2012
If its just an inductor more you can ohm it out. If it is a low resistance value say under 10 ohms then it is good. If it is a really high value then it is open. If it is bad more than likely you could simply jumper it out and it will work fine since it is not worth much anyway.