Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC votmeter circuit design

fromdawest

Nov 17, 2012
I want to design a circuit with a 7 segment display, which can show the voltage of a source connected to it . I saw many diagrams using ICL7107 for this but non of them exaplains the programming part . Could you please teach me how to make it step by step please ?

And the other thing is, if there is any posibility of using a LCD display to show the values, let me know the way i should follow .

many thanks,
from da west .

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are as many ways as there are people who might offer you advice.

Basically, it will boil down to, do you want to use a migrocontroller or not.

If you do, then it is a simple case of doing some sort of A-D conversion (most probably using an ADC in the uC) and then writing code to convert this value into a pattern of outputs corresponding to the output device you've chosen.

The output device could be a meter (yes analogue!), a string of LEDs (although you wouldn't need a uC for that either), a single 7 segment display, several 7 segment digits, and LCD display, or almost anything else. The world is your oyster.

However the problem sounds like a school project, so perhaps you can tell us more about the constraints you're under?

If you're planning on using a uC, then the first thing you need to do is to learn how to program one (and there are millions to choose from, so even earlier you'll need to pick a family of devices).

Maybe a PICaxe would be suitable.

fromdawest

Nov 17, 2012
Thanks and need more help on this

Hi Steve thanks for the reply ,

Yes its a highschool project which I should complete within next two weeks .

What I basically want is, to make a circuit which can sense the voltage and the current ( going through it that instance of time ) of a particular power cable ( like a twisted cable with live and neutral ) .

As an example, let say a INDUSTRIAL SOCKET with wire which is designed to send high currents and to work under high voltages ( 32A / 500V like range ) . So what I want is a device to measure the voltage and current of such a power cable . So you may think I can probably use a FLUKE multimeter, yes i can, but we are asked to make our own circuit to do this . Simply think we are installing this circuit to that industrial socket, so the socket has an indicator of voltage and current, and that should be digital .

Constraints are,

1. The circuit should have LCD ( 16x2 like lcd ) to show the voltage and current of the cable

2. The circuit should be based on a PIC micro controller . And for the PIC and the circuitary, the power must be obtained from the same power line we are measuring the voltage and current . ( as the circuit takes a very little current, i think that will not put a big impact of the load connected at the end of the power line, if I'm wrong please tell me )

3. The circuit should be able to measure votages from 0V to 600V ( atleast up to 500V ) AC voltage . And the current from 0A to 32A ( better if its possible to measure up to 60A or more ) .

4. When the cable is not connected to any source, the LCD display shows nothing and the circuit is in off state . But once when the cable is connected to a source and a load, that circuit gets power from it and indicates the voltage and current .

I have downloaded a PROTEUS files of a DIGITAL VOLTMETER from internet . But that can measure up to 30V maximum . So if its possible to increase this range up to 500V, please let me know the modifications .

See the attachment please .

This is the URL i downloaded the circuit from
http://www.electrosome.com/voltmeter-ammeter-pic/

Thanks in advance .
From da west .

Attachments

• voltmeterpic.jpg
    voltmeterpic.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 387

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You have an awful lot to do in 2 weeks. I suspect you had longer than this to work on it?

The circuit you refer to is for DC, and it sounds like you're talking AC which is a different kettle of fish.

Having this device line powered and measuring mains voltages on a PIC seems foolishly dangerous.

There are some hall effect current measuring devices, or you can use a current transformer to safely (relatively) measure mains current.

fromdawest

Nov 17, 2012
Any help

Steve,

I'm new into this field and may be I know nothing about this .

But could you please tell me a possible way to make this ? any tutorials ? could you please accept my request on skype then I can have easy help from u i guess .

Thanks,
Dileesha .

fromdawest

Nov 17, 2012
I looked for sensors, and there are some sensors that can measure the current in the wire . but m not sure whether such sensing circuitary can be used with the pic . is it possible ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My recommendation is to go back to your original idea for a single digit digital voltmeter.

It's safe and will provide almost all of the same learning opportunities without the danger and complexity.

Sorry, don't have time for skype right now.