Connect with us

DC Voltage Regulators

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jumperusa, Jan 19, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jumperusa

jumperusa

Jan 19, 2015
    Hi,

I have been looking for a regulator that would step up 60vdc input to 120vdc output. I haven't had any luck finding the specific regulator. Does it exist or maybe there is a better way to solve my problem.

My problem is trying to use 60vdc as a triggering mechanism for a relay to turn a 120vac circuit on. Ideally I would have like to find a relay that would trigger with 60vdc but I was unable to find it.

Any thoughts?

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Hello
    Do you have a 120 Volt relay? if you do then It might be that you can use a simple transistor circuit to control the 120 Volt relay. Where does the 60 Volt trigger come from?
    Adam

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    You're looking for a 'DC to DC Converter', but I'm with Arouse 1973 in that I don't think this is probably the best way to go.
    I too, am interesting in knowing your circuit; in wanting to trigger a 120VDC relay with 60VDC. There's pobably a better way to go.

4. jumperusa

jumperusa

Jan 19, 2015
    I have a motion sensor light that is on a 120vac circuit. I opened up the motion sensor light and connected a wire inside the motion sensor light after the transformer and sent that wire to a junction box. The junction box contains a 120vac power wire. One lead that runs to a porch light and another lead that is the original wire that runs up to the motion light. I split the power wire to run individually to the porch and the motion sensor light and I wanted the lead that came back from the sensor light to act as the trigger to switch a relay to allowing the porch light to come on when the motion sensor came on. The relay is a 120v unfortunately I didn't realize my trigger wire was 60vdc.

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    This is very strange, I would be surprised to find 60VDC used in a motion sensor run off 120VAC.

What is the rating of the relay used in the motion sensor? If it is rated at high enough current for both lights, why not just run the output of that relay to the porch light?

If that is not possible, I would suggest a solid state relay for the porch light and a resistor in series with the 60V signal to give the right current to the input of the solid state relay, which is essentially an LED.

And if you are stuck with the 120VAC relay, you could possibly run it off 60VDC with a resistor calculated to limit the current to what the relay needs.

Bob

Arouse1973 likes this.
  6. jumperusa

jumperusa

Jan 19, 2015
    Only motion sensor light I have ever taken apart so I wouldn't know what to typical. Good idea running the output directly to the porch light but I don't know if the porch light would be capable of using 60vdc since it was built to handle an input of 120vac. Would I bump up and convert the 60vdc back to 120vac? I haven't been able to find a solid state relay that will trigger with 60vdc. that would solve my problem if you could point me to one. I have googled quiet a bit trying to find such a relay.

7. jumperusa

jumperusa

Jan 19, 2015
    Update

The relay I do have has the following information
    Coil 120vac
    30 amp. 240vac
    30 amp. 28vdc
    TV-5, 240vac
    98/22 FLA/LRA, 120vac

8. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    That should be plenty to run both lights.
    Adam

9. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I was not talking about running the porch light off the 60V signal. I was talking about running it off the same line that runs the light in the motion sensor, which should be 120VAC. This would be the output of the relay in the motion sensor.

Solid state relays operate by running an LED to an optical sensor to a triac.

Here is one that would work:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/427/vo2223-244723.pdf

This allows up to 900mA or a little over 100W output.

You could trigger it by putting a 5.6K resistor in series with the 60VDC signal to it's input,. A 1W resistor would do.

Bob

10. jumperusa

jumperusa

Jan 19, 2015
    That is the relay I bought but unfortunately the 60vdc will not trigger the relay.

11. jumperusa

jumperusa

Jan 19, 2015
    Thanks Bob!

12. jumperusa

jumperusa

Jan 19, 2015
    What pins do I use to trigger the circuit and what pins do I connect the circuit to? Sorry, I don't look at electronic schematics enough to readily recognize the symbols.

Thanks Bob

13. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Pin 1 (or 3 or 4) goes the negative of the 60V
    Pin 2 connects to the 5.6K resistor
    Other side of resistor connects to the positive side of the 60V
    Pins 6 and 8 go between the power and the light, like a switch.

Other pins left unconnected.

Note that the datasheet refers to pin 8 as pin 7 in the table, but pin 8 in the diagram! On the device there is a gap where pin 7 would normally be.

You might want to try connecting a red LED to the 60V (with the resistor) to make sure that it lights when the motion detector is on and does not light when it is off before buying this device. If the LED does not light properly, the SSR will not work either. It is possible that your 60V signal is not capable of the necessary 10mA.

Bob

Ask a Question