Connect with us

DC Voltage Reduction

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by TorontoJoe, Dec 4, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. TorontoJoe

TorontoJoe

Dec 4, 2012
    I'm risking making myself seem foolish here but I just don't know so here goes. I have a camcorder with a 12v DC output that's intended use is an on-camera light fixture. I've traditionally used a 20w incandescent light. In an effort to increase battery life I got an LED fixture that is powered by 2 AA batteries rated for 3 to 4.5V.

Now - I don't want to be dealing with AA batteries all the time and wish to power it from the cameras output. I'm guessing I need to reduce the voltage somehow or I'll blow my LED lamp.

Is it just a matter of splicing a resistor in on the positive wire? If so what kind exactly?

I need to keep it light and compact so a DC-DC converter type unit won't really work.

Can anyone advise me in simple terms?

2. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    You have at least a space the size of 2 AA batteries. Go to a well-stocked thrift store and buy a few cell phone car chargers for $1 or $2 each. Look for ones with an output voltage around 4.5V but 5V is alright too. Take the little circuit board out of the charger, cover it with a big piece of shrink tube and route the input wires to a plug compatible with your 12V supply. Connect the output to the battery terminals (include a 1N4001 diode in series if using 5V). The whole thing should fit in the battery compartment.

3. TorontoJoe

TorontoJoe

Dec 4, 2012
    Great idea thanks.

Ask a Question