Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC Voltage Reduction

TorontoJoe

Dec 4, 2012
I'm risking making myself seem foolish here but I just don't know so here goes. I have a camcorder with a 12v DC output that's intended use is an on-camera light fixture. I've traditionally used a 20w incandescent light. In an effort to increase battery life I got an LED fixture that is powered by 2 AA batteries rated for 3 to 4.5V.

Now - I don't want to be dealing with AA batteries all the time and wish to power it from the cameras output. I'm guessing I need to reduce the voltage somehow or I'll blow my LED lamp.

Is it just a matter of splicing a resistor in on the positive wire? If so what kind exactly?

I need to keep it light and compact so a DC-DC converter type unit won't really work.

Can anyone advise me in simple terms?

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
You have at least a space the size of 2 AA batteries. Go to a well-stocked thrift store and buy a few cell phone car chargers for $1 or $2 each. Look for ones with an output voltage around 4.5V but 5V is alright too. Take the little circuit board out of the charger, cover it with a big piece of shrink tube and route the input wires to a plug compatible with your 12V supply. Connect the output to the battery terminals (include a 1N4001 diode in series if using 5V). The whole thing should fit in the battery compartment.