Connect with us

DC Voltage Doubler

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by John, Aug 5, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. John

    John Guest


    What's the best (easiest) way to double a 9V DC supply to 18V DC? The 9V
    comes from a 78L09 regulator. The current requirements are very low. Do
    any chips exist to do it? I'm an electronics novice so the simpler the

  2. There are capacitor switches that charge one cap with the supply, then
    connect it in series with the supply to double it. These need only a
    couple capacitors to double (or make a negative of) a supply. The
    base number for one such chip is 7660. cc cc/7660.PDF
  3. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    Would it make more sense to supply the doubler with the same raw DC as
    the 7909 is getting?

  4. The HT7660 is speced for an absolute maximum input of 13 volts, the
    lt1044 for 9.5 volts, and the TC7660 for 10.5 volts. So, maybe, but
  5. CFoley1064

    CFoley1064 Guest

    Subject: DC Voltage Doubler
    If you need something right away, and the chips mentioned by other posts aren't
    available, try a 555-based voltage doubler. If you use a 555, you'll need 2
    more resistors, two extra diodes and one extra cap:

    Good luck
  6. ddwyer

    ddwyer Guest

    Generate a supply limited square wave, couple to a voltage doubler (3
    diodes + 3 capacitors) sitting on top of the + supply . O/P = 9V + 2X9V
    - volt drops minimised by using schottky diodes.
    Regulate o/p down to 18V.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day