Connect with us

DC to AC inverter

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by conntaxman, Oct 13, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. conntaxman

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
    I have a coleman 2000x4000watt inverter about 5yrs old.A while back i was connecting it and by accident i touched the plus to the neg and the neg to the pos.I know its suppose to have a safety. When i did hook it up to the desk top computer it ran for only about 30 min on a car battery.I though that it was a very short run time. Now when i hooked it up it ran i'll say total 12 hrs,I had it hooked to a computer and used it a few days just to check out my solar panels and battery. It just started to shut down, then the alarm went off. I shut it off and then turned it back on, and it would run for 1 min. and then shut down and beeped. I checked the battary voltage and it was 12.8 so that was good. I put amp meter inbetween the bat and inv. and had nothing pluged into it, it drew 1 amp, then pluged in the computer and it pulled 4 amps. the compute only draws .59amp. Also it drew the battery down to 10v. then the battery came back up quick to about 11.8
    Just pluged in, the led lights,no smoke,no noise. Were should I start to look.
    Tks
    John

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I'd say the battery is dead. (it's a guess).

You don't mention the voltage your computer is using, but I'll assume 110V.

110V at 0.5A is about 55W.

12V at 4A is 48W

The computer will typically draw less than full power, so you are seeing what I would estimate to be a ballpark correct figure.

3. conntaxman

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
    inverter

steve. I call a repair shop today and the person said that it was a mosfet that most likely blew. Their all mounted on each side on a heat sink. he said that they use many voltage regulators in the 2000watt. Im pretty sure he said regulators.Guess they must tie them all together at some point. I dont know if i could test them while they are in the cir.I have to read up about them now. I think they are the same as a transistor, but heavy duty.
    Hate to throw the inverter away.I know it must be an easy fix. ha ha once ya know how to fix it. just like every thing. if you know its easy, if you don't ,its hard.
    John

4. conntaxman

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
    Hi Steve .I think i found out what the problem is ,The 45n20b MOSFET the one on the top left must be bad. When i connect a battery and turn it on Im getting voltage from all the power supplies they are on the Left side of the pic and all their fuses are good. I can hear this Mosfet making noise and it get REALLY HOT. compared to the other ones.I tried to look up how to test it on google, but really couldn't find a way. If that ONE is bad will that cause the Alarm to sound and no voltage to the ac out put.
    tks
    John

5. conntaxman

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
    dc to ac

I forgot the pic P1010064.jpg

Ask a Question