Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC power jack

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
040220121217.jpg

For this DC power jack, how do I connect them ?
It has 3 legs and what does each legs means ?

First time dealing with this :)

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
The rear connection is the center pin. It's usually positive for chargers and negative for power supplies.
The front connection is the circumference or outer sheath (shield).
The side connection is in contact with the front connection - until the jack is inserted, then it "breaks" and becomes isolated.
The side connection is usually connected to the (dry cell) batteries in the equipment, disconnecting them when using external power..

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
The rear connection is the center pin. It's usually positive for chargers and negative for power supplies.
The side connection is in contact with the front connection - until the jack is inserted, then it "breaks" and becomes isolated.
The side connection is usually connected to the (dry cell) batteries in the equipment, disconnecting them when using external power..

Any source for me to have a look ? I tried search didnt manage to get :(

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012

If I didnt use battery, I can just connect two legs?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If I didnt use battery, I can just connect two legs?

Yep.

It pays to double check the polarity with your choice of power supply plugged in.

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
Yep.

It pays to double check the polarity with your choice of power supply plugged in.

Oh..so if I wan to connect 2 legs only, so one legs is positive and one leg is negative ?

The two side legs either one can be used ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No

However a wise man would verify this with his multimeter and not need to ask the question.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK.

Then do this...

1) plug in your power supply

2) use your multimeter to determine which connection is +ve and which is -ve

3) Use these 2 connections.

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
Hey, I plan to do a circuit where I get the power supply from the wall and I connected it to a dc power jack, then I output it to two wire where the two wire can supply the reduced volatge from the adapter.How would be the circuit be ? Any capacitor needed ?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, there are a number of things we need to know.

The first is, what sort of plugpack is it?

If it's one that contains a transformer, then the output can be both variable under load, and poorly filtered. In that case you may require additional filtering and regulation.

If its a switchmode device (as almost all modern ones are) then the output voltage is likely to be well regulated,

If you can't tell, the differences are:

1) a plugpack with a transformer will feel like it has something really heavy in it, a switchmode power supply will not.

2) a switchmode power supply may operate over a wide range of voltages (e.g. 90-260V) whereas one with a transformer will not (with a switch it *may* operate from one of two distinct voltages, e.g. 110V or 220V)

3) When measuring the voltage output by them, a switchmode power supply wil give almost exactly the same output from zero (or very nearly zero) load through to the maximum load. A plugpack with a transformer in it will exhibit a significantly higher voltage under no load conditions that will reduce gradually as load is increased. The rated voltage may not be observed until nearly a full load is present.

So, what do you have?

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
OK, there are a number of things we need to know.

The first is, what sort of plugpack is it?

If it's one that contains a transformer, then the output can be both variable under load, and poorly filtered. In that case you may require additional filtering and regulation.

If its a switchmode device (as almost all modern ones are) then the output voltage is likely to be well regulated,

If you can't tell, the differences are:

1) a plugpack with a transformer will feel like it has something really heavy in it, a switchmode power supply will not.

2) a switchmode power supply may operate over a wide range of voltages (e.g. 90-260V) whereas one with a transformer will not (with a switch it *may* operate from one of two distinct voltages, e.g. 110V or 220V)

3) When measuring the voltage output by them, a switchmode power supply wil give almost exactly the same output from zero (or very nearly zero) load through to the maximum load. A plugpack with a transformer in it will exhibit a significantly higher voltage under no load conditions that will reduce gradually as load is increased. The rated voltage may not be observed until nearly a full load is present.

So, what do you have?

I think I have an unregulated adapter.Means plugpack.
Link : http://cytron.com.my/viewProduct.php?pcode=AD-TMC-500PM

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If that weight is correct, at 24 grams it couldn't be anything other than a switch-mode regulator.

24 grams? really?

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
If that weight is correct, at 24 grams it couldn't be anything other than a switch-mode regulator.

24 grams? really?

However, it stated there unregulator power supply and I tested it, I swtich to output 7.5V but from what I measure the voltage higher than 7.5V.

Yes 24g

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
However, it stated there unregulator power supply and I tested it, I swtich to output 7.5V but from what I measure the voltage higher than 7.5V.

Yes 24g

Well, what is it? Saying it is higher than 7.5V tells me nothing more than it is between 7.50000000000000001 and infinity volts.

Also you will note that I didn't say that a SMPS would always give a regulated voltage off load, however with a small load it will get to its regulated voltage very quickly. Also note that component tolerances may mean that the actual regulated voltage may vary by 5% or so (although it's normally less).

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
Well, what is it? Saying it is higher than 7.5V tells me nothing more than it is between 7.50000000000000001 and infinity volts.

Also you will note that I didn't say that a SMPS would always give a regulated voltage off load, however with a small load it will get to its regulated voltage very quickly. Also note that component tolerances may mean that the actual regulated voltage may vary by 5% or so (although it's normally less).

So now how ? Should I use capacitor in my circuit ? I think no harm :)

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
Hey there,
I plan to build a circuit where I can power it either using battery or sources from the wall through adapter which inserted into DC power jack.

However, can anyone tell me how will be the circuit be ? Is it just extend the circuit to have two supply terminal ?

Thank you.

LEDOrnamental.png

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
You don't need a capacitor if you are using a battery because there is no ripple.

With an SMPS, you will only need filter caps if the output ripple is more then your circuit can safely work under.

As long as your two sources are very similar and you want to use a dc adapter, then you could wire a male dc adapter to the battery to plug into the female dc adapter on the board. Then you only need one connector on the board. There is a few ways to skin a cat...

Last edited:

vick5821

Jan 22, 2012
You don't need a capacitor if you are using a battery because there is no ripple.

With an SMPS, you will only need filter caps if the output ripple is more then your circuit can safely work under.

As long as your two sources are very similar and you want to use a dc adapter, then you could wire a male dc adapter to the battery to plug into the female dc adapter on the board. Then you only need one connector on the board. There is a few ways to skin a cat...

I do not get what you means..Is it means that from the power jack, one is positive terminal which shared by both the jack and the battery and the pin 2 is the negative for battery and pin 3 is negative for jack and from supply ?