Connect with us

DC plug tip converters?

Discussion in 'Electronic Components' started by Melissa, Jan 16, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    I have a universal ac adapter with one size plug tip and I want to plug it
    into something that takes a smaller sized plug tip. Without having to buy a
    whole new adapter power pack, does anyone know where I can just get a
    inexpensive package of plug tip adapters, that could change one size plug
    into another?

    Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

    The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of
  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Try Radio Shack.
  3. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    I did, all they have is their newer models of adapters with all kinds of
    expensive plugs to match. Planned obsolescence so they can rake you for
    more bucks.

    Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

    The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of
  4. Ken

    Ken Guest

    You may be right, but did you check in the section where the electronic
    components are located?? There might be a separate section for power
    adapters and wall warts, which of course would be more costly.
  5. legg

    legg Guest

    They also flog the adapter set separately. Can't say that anything at
    Radio Shack is a good price - look elsewhere. In some places,
    individual parts from the 'set' of connectors are available. You need
    a wall wart with the two-pin terminal fitting, to use them. Buy one of
    these just once. No doubt they are available elsewhere.

    It was you who bought the component that now needs replacing - get
    better advice next time.

  6. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    I didn't want to have to buy even more power adapters, I have about a dozen
    of them around here now. I just need to adapt one of the adapters I have
    now, to the plug that I need it to go into.

    Someone somewhere on the web must sell tip adapters to convert one tip to
    another size. If I new what they were called, I might even find them cheap
    on Ebay.

    Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

    The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of
  7. The home of "You've got questions, we've got blank stares." 8*)
    I don't think the thing you want exists, as _usually_ the act of using
    a wall wart with the product it didn't come with is a sure way of
    destroying at least one of them.

    However, if you know anyone who can solder, you can buy the
    appropriate plug end and have someone attach it to the wallwart of
    your choice...
  8. Melissa

    Melissa Guest

    William P.N. Smith wrote :
    Seriously. 90% of the times I go there, it takes you 20 minutes to get
    help, even if the place is empty ( they're in the back going heaven knows
    what ) and then they usually don't have what I need. All they're interested
    in is selling stereos and cell phone stuff so they make the big
    I can solder, I'm an ASET. I was just trying to save some time and money
    though, but I see it's not worth it, I'll just buy a new $12 adapter that
    comes with a dozen plug tips, and the heck with this.

    Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

    The last best hope for liberty, to give the world its first Bill of
  9. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I grabbed several *barrel connector" adapters from a table of close-out
    items at my local electronics store a year or two ago. I just checked
    each of them and none is marked with manufacturer's name,
    unfortunately. Mfgr.'s name was on the label of each package but I
    tossed the packaging as soon as I got home. Might have a catalog from
    that store. Will look for it and post here later if I find info. that
    you could use.

    Others suggested Rat Shack. I do know that place has a large line of
    p.s. cable ends that connect to any of their assorted wall warts and
    power supplies, but I don't know that Rat Shack has barrel connector
    adaptors. (Maybe I missed them.)
  10. Radio Shack has replacement ends for their "interchangeable end" AC
    adaptors - I've used those, and soldered wires to the pins that are
    supposed to plug into the adaptor cable - it's not the way they're
    supposed to be used, but it works.

    They also carry (or used to carry) a few sizes of coaxial power plugs
    that were intended to be soldered to wires.

    Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
    peterbb4 (at)
    new newsgroup users info :
    GPS and NMEA info:
    Vancouver Power Squadron:
  11. Rich Webb

    Rich Webb Guest

    AFAIK, there are no such beasts. As you noted, most of the time the
    power supply and the consumer device are a "matched pair" and the
    majority of users are not willing/able to try to use a wall wart from
    one device on something else. So there's not a large market to begin

    Then there's the problem of so *many* different power plugs that would
    have to be paired. Think of all the combinations of just the 9- to
    25-pin RS-232 adapters. Probably not economical.

    If one knows what one is about, the easiest approach is just to cut off
    the old plug and solder on a new one or (if it needs saving) to buy a
    plug and receptacle and make an adapter.
  12. Rat Shark sells a pin plug on the end of a 6 foot cord, with bare wires
    on the other end. You can leave it that long or cut it off much
    shorter, and solder the bare wires onto the end of your adapter. The
    pin plug then gives you the ability to purchase ny one of their
    adapters, each one having a different letter designation. The pin plug
    plugs into the adapter, with the '+' signs matching or not matching if
    you want to reverse the polarity. If you can;t find this. then buy the
    extension which has a male pin plug on one end and a female on the
    other. Just cut off the right end and solder it to the adapter. Use a
    short length of heatshrink tubing on each conductor before you solder.
    Makes for a neat job.

    From this point on, you should be able to change the adapter end to any
    of their universal adapters, assuming they still sell them in the
    future. Never really know for certain if they will..
  13. I've seen that a number of times, where the uninformed consumer goes to
    Rat Shaft and says I have a Panabaloney answering machine with rice
    cooker that has a bad wall wart adapter. The salesdroid looks at the
    wall wart and says this is what you need, and sells her a 12VDC, 1A or
    so adapter along with the adapter plug that goes on the end, total
    coming to the $20 or more range. She gets home and plugs the whole mess
    together and burns out the answering machine with rice cooker because
    no one told her that the polarity has to be observed when putting the
    adapter plug into the pin plug of the adapter.

    The moral is you've got questions, Rat Shaft gives only half the answer.

    Now that the ans mach with rice cooker is burned out, the salesdroid can
    sell her a new one when she comes back in and tells him that smoke came
    out of the whole thing when she plugged it in. :-(
  14. I think they were trying to standardize power plug ends to minimize the
    possibility of allowing someone to plug a 12V adapter into a 6V device,
    and let the smoke out. But the various mfgrs don't seem to care.
    RS-232 is a standard pinout, and 9-pin is not RS-232, but it is also a
    standard in the PC world, with essentially all of the same pins the
    25-pin RS-232 connector has except pin 1, which is the body of the
    9-pin. So there are only two ways to make a 9-pin to 25-pin serial
    adapter: straight thru, or crossover AKA null modem. Almost all
    adapters are straight thru.
    See Cable Pinout Information.htm#3

    Good idea.
  15. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Melissa, I must have thrown that catalog away. I remember it was a year
    (2?) old.
    What you need does exist. I assure you, they cannot be too terribly
    rare if my gettin' place has 'em (typically their stock is almost - but
    not quite - what I want or need.)

    Barrel connector adapters are the greatest thing since audio adapters.
    All of the ones I bought are currently in use.

    (Read some of your blog. You can write, ma'am!)
  16. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Try here:
  17. Rich Webb

    Rich Webb Guest

    As long as they at least show the voltage and polarity that the
    equipment needs, I'm happy. It's the buggers who don't that should be
    lashed with a flail of universal adapter cords...

    I've got a pile of old wall warts from long forgotten modems and other
    assorted gear. It's a handy resource for DIY projects and to rescue the
    odd piece of equipment that has become separated from its mate.
    True, I overstated it a bit. I was picturing my overflowing dingle-
    dangle-dongle box, that also has the various pin counts and sexes for
    to/from PS-2 connectors, assorted null modems, gender changers in
    various shapes, break-out boxes ...
  18. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Rich Webb wrote:

    Ahhh ... a kindred spirit. I have so many spare wall warts that I
    recently took the time to separate them into two piles, AC and DC, and
    dump each pile into its own cardboard carton. Inside the "AC" carton
    there are two smaller cartons, one for "6v" and one for "12v", because
    I've got a *bunch" of those.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day