Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC motors

pidja105

Oct 16, 2015
Hello,
I has worked on electronic project since 2013,
I can't make dc motor(brushless and with brush).
Brush motor has one rule:
coil must be on the rotor,
And brushless motor:
coil must be on the stator,
I did make brushless motor like this:
1.I prepare 4 1.5 volt batteries and one rectifier of 5v,and 9v battery too.
2.I wound coil of 100 turns
3.I used wooden rod with two needles and two pernament magnets for rotor

I did make brush motor like this:
1.I prepared batteries and rectifier too
2.I wound coil with bigger battery like round and i removed pvc isolation at the end of the rotor for brushes
3.I used two pernam. magnets for stator one ahead and one below.

All of these motors won't run,i runned this on the rectifier and on the batteries,and...nothing.
What i can try to make this motor run?
Please help!

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
You can only make a brush-type motor.
If it has 2 poles it is not self-starting.
If it has 3 poles, it is self-starting.
The secret is the commutator - the thing at the end of the armature where the brushes touch little pieces of copper.
You have to look on the web to see how to wind the wire around each pole in a certain direction and connect the start of the winding to a commutator-segment and the end of the winding to another commutator-segment.
As you turn the armature around with your fingers, each winding goes to the same relative segment.
The brushes can be moved around and as you do this, the armature will automatically start to rotate.
One magnet has a north pole nearly touching one of the poles and the south pole will be between the other two poles.
Everything must be set-up correctly for the motor to work.
And last of all, the commutator must be rotated on the shaft so it is in the correct position.
Making a motor is a skillful piece of engineering and the only way to learn is to take a $2.00 motor apart and see how each of the items is positioned. You can then get it to run out of its housing and see how critical the placing of the components is.