Maker Pro
Maker Pro

dc motor test platform

Cncwhiz

Jan 7, 2009
I am new to this site and my understanding of electronics is limited. I am rebuilding windshield wiper assemblies for VW's. I currently test the motors after I re-condition them with a battery charger. I would like to build a test platform to run the motors on. The twelve volt motors have 2 speeds and a park. The 6 volt motors have a single speed and a park. With the key on, it applies power to the part connection on the motor. When the motor runs the switch applies power to the running connection. When the motor is switched off, the park connection applies power until a small cam lifts a copper contact away from the supplied power. I want to make a test platform using my 6/12 volt battery charger. I would like to take the voltage comming out if the battery charger and control the resistance cleaner than what it outputs. I will then split that power into 2. I then want one of the power leads to have a timer for 6/12 volts so I can run the motor for a period of time, then the timer will stop the power for another period of time. I will run this test for a few hours to wear the brushes in and make sure that the motor is ready to go.

neon

Oct 21, 2006
If you want time control then LM555 can do that sequentualy use them as oneshot and time them for the time that you want. probably don't need interface good for 300ma each i would try that first. good luck.

Cncwhiz

Jan 7, 2009
Neon,
I just looked one of those up. how do I find out more about it?

neon

Oct 21, 2006
there are gabs of info on the lm555 all over the internet. Let me gets you started those guys can be used as oneshot so one time tiggers the next ..next and so on. different cap different time.