Connect with us

DC Motor Pulses?

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Briggs E., Apr 26, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Briggs E.

Briggs E.

Apr 26, 2012
    I have a Rule (model 140) in-line blower that requires 12 vdc and 2.9 amps.

When I plug it into a LCD Monitor TV AC Adapter (bought off amazon) that provides 12 vdc, 3.5 amp output, the blower pulses on and off with maybe 1.5 second periodicity.

I have a second adapter that provides 12 vdc, 2 amp output that produces the same blower results.

When the adapters are connected in parallel to the blower, it still surges, but has a DC offset, so to speak. The minimum RPM is non-zero.

Finally, when I connect the blower to a PC power supply, it runs steadily, drawing 2.4 amps.

Can someone explain this behavior?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It may have a requirement for higher current spikes, either on startup or as a heater turns on and off (for example).

The lower powered supplies are simply incapable of supplying the additional current and rapidly shut down. When they decide to try again, they find the same overload and shut down again. and so on...

Ask a Question