Connect with us

DC Motor and Capacitor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Sidetracked, Mar 17, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Sidetracked

Sidetracked

Mar 17, 2013
    Hello all,

I am working on a project and was hoping that someone might be able to help.
    as simply put as possible miniature elevator doors driven on lego gears. I am using an HO scale slot-car motor (size is critical because of limited space). i am running it off of a single 9V battery. I'm told that it can take more but the rest of my configuration is based on toy standards. The trouble I'm having is that the motor tends to hang up on start up. I believe that I could give it that little bit extra boost using some sort of capacitor hook-up but alas all i had learned about electronics has faded over the years. right now it's purely basic series; hot to motor, neg to momentary switch to motor. Does anyone have any suggestions including schems and what power capacitors and/or resistors etc. I would need. I'd really appreciate any assistance.

-THX

GRS3

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I assume you mean a small "216" type 9V battery.

If you place a capacitor in parallel with the battery, it will be able to provide extra current for an instant as the motor starts up.

For this to work, it is imperative that the capacitor is in parallel with the battery, not placed across the motor. It must be fully charged as you switch on the motor.

I'd start with a 1000uF 16V electrolytic capacitor.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    I assume you mean that the capacitor should be placed in parallel with the battery.

Ask a Question