Connect with us

Dc - dc Charging question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Lee mason, Feb 13, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Lee mason

Lee mason

Feb 13, 2017
    Hi

I really appreciate your time and wanted to ask if the following was possible...

I have a 50ah battery pack (lipo) that has various output ports and voltages. These are as follows...

DC Output current 5V/8.4V/9V 3A (max) 12V/16V(compatible 16.5V)/20V (compatible 19v,19.5v)4.7A(max)
    USB Output current 5V/9V/12V 3A(support fast charging)
    TYPE-C Output 5V 3.5A(can charger MacBook)

I want to use one of these outputs to charge a 12v 10ah lead acid baterry. However although I'm not that great with electronics I understand it would require 16v to charge and have some type of charge controller? This would control the charging of the battery with a visual indicator also available.

Now that's what to want to do, is it possible? Is there something out there presently that you know of that would solve my conundrum?

I'm really sorry of this is a silly question. I have googled this quite intensively with no luck. I could be using the wrong keywords...

Many thanks for your time

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A lot of these are designed to jump start cars. Does yours have any instructions describing how to do that?

Do you have a make and model so we can look it up?

3. Lee mason

Lee mason

Feb 13, 2017
  4. Bill Kaszeta

Bill Kaszeta

Feb 13, 2017
    Since at least one of the listed laptops requires 9.5V, you should be able to adjust the output voltage to 13.7V that should be about right for a 12V battery at 25°C.

5. Lee mason

Lee mason

Feb 13, 2017
    Thanks for your reply.

I would need some sort of indication though to show when it's complete. And to limit the charge wouldn't I?

6. Bill Kaszeta

Bill Kaszeta

Feb 13, 2017
    No easy way to tell if a battery is fully charged. There are complex curves from many manufacturers that can be used. Equipment that both charges and discharges the battery (laptops, etc.) will monitor the charge/discharge currents to calculate state of charge. Not possible in this simple case. The battery can stay connected at this voltage without problems. I do not know anything specific about the charger you reference, but I suspect that if you set it to 13.7V without a battery connected, then connect the battery, the indicated voltage will be lower depending on the state of charge of the battery. As the battery charges, the voltage will approach the set point. Then allow another hour for best battery life.

Ask a Question