Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC-DC Buck Converter

stewart

Mar 18, 2016
Hi
I am doing a project that needs to step voltage from a 36 V battery to 5 V to 3 loads.
if each load needs 5 V and roughly the same amount of current of 2 A.
then can I buy a buck converter that out puts 5V 2A to supply 3 loads in parallel each needing 2 A or will i burn my buck converter?
plz plz plz help

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi
I am doing a project that needs to step voltage from a 36 V battery to 5 V to 3 loads.
then can I buy a buck converter that out puts 5V 2A to supply 3 loads in parallel each needing 2 A or will i burn my buck converter?
plz plz plz help
Where in the world did you find a 36V battery?
Simply find a 5V Buck Converter rated for 6A at the bare minimum.
What are the loads? If it's a heavy inductive load, then you could fry if you don't have proper protection on the motors.

stewart

Mar 18, 2016
the battery i am tapping into is that one that came with my electric ATV, thought would be a good idea not to get an external battery.
loads are raspberry pi or arduino still didnt decide, ultrasonic sensor and a servo motor

Last edited by a moderator:

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
the battery iam taping into is that one that came with my electric ATV, thought would be a good idea not to get an external battery.
loads are raspberry pi or arduino still didnt deside, ultrasonic sensor and a servo motor
Arduino takes 2A ?!
You'll be fine. If you will be connecting it to a large motor for example, or large servo, make sure you use a diode to prevent the motor from feeding back into the circuit.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
btw if max current is 12 A, does that mean under normal operation output will be only the amount my loads need, or do i need to put resistors to ensure 6 A output?

it will supply the current required by the load

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015

Don't know about burning up, but it might shut down due to an overcurrent.

To answer your question, when multiple loads are connected in parallel their load currents sum, or add up. So three 2-amp loads need a 6-amp source. Depending on the nature of the loads, they might draw 2 A continuously but draw more (or much more) at startup. Your DC/DC converter needs to be able to handle the transient startup current, not just the running current.

ak