Connect with us

DC adapter in place of AC?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by BrianL, Sep 29, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. BrianL

BrianL

Dec 9, 2011
    I have a NiCd powered Black and Decker drill. The original wall wart charger was 9V AC, but was lost. I have a 9V DC adapter, otherwise equal specs. Will that work without issue. I tried it for a couple seconds and it does power it, but I'm concerned that maybe the original 9V AC ends up much less than 9V after conversion to DC.

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Nope....other way.... 9vac approx 12.6vdc

3. BrianL

BrianL

Dec 9, 2011
    in that case, a 9V DC charger won't damage anything then, correct? Other than maybe not giving a full charge. But it's only a 7.2V drill anyway. Why would it have a 9V AC charger?

4. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Because one bucket of water has to be higher than the other for current to flow plus somewhere in the circuit will be a regulator where a voltage drop occurs.

5. BrianL

BrianL

Dec 9, 2011
    Sorry, what I meant was why they didn't use a DC charger.

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Just because there is no electronics in the wall wart if it puts out AC. All the electronics can be inside the drill.

Bob

7. BrianL

BrianL

Dec 9, 2011
    That makes sense. Though it seems they're rather not have them in the drill.

Just confirming, I guess people are scared to say yes, but on paper, the 9V DC charger *should* be OK then, correct?

8. Cannonball

Cannonball

May 6, 2017
    Yes

BrianL likes this.
  9. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    If the "7.2V" battery is Ni-Cad or Ni-MH then all 6 cells are fully charged to 1.5V which is a total of 9.0V.
    The charging circuit might need an additional 1.7V for a total voltage needed of 10.7V.
    The original 9VAC charger produced a peak of 9V x 1.414= 12.7V and the fullwave rectifier dropped the output to 10.7V so a 9VDC charger will never fully charge the battery.

10. BrianL

BrianL

Dec 9, 2011
    Thanks a lot, Audioguru. That's what I was thinking.

Ask a Question