Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DC 12v Wiper Motor H-Bridge

kyle6513

Dec 10, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm new here and signed up in hopes of finding an answer to my problems.

I'm an Australian student trying to create a powerful 1/4 scale R/C car, and with the hopes of controlling the car with a windscreen wiper motor, since they have enormous amounts of torque (due to their worm gear structure). I have turned up a schematic for a simple H-Bridge but the only downside is that it seems to use outdated components. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me find some alternatives for the parts. I have searched across using data sheets and such, and I just simply don't have the knowledge to do this.

image003.jpg

Included is the schematic to help. Another thing is, the biggest electronics supplier I can find in Aus (around my area) is RadioSpares Components, website here. So, if you have any applicable ideas for this circuit (or even another simpler circuit design!) it would be much appreciated if you could first search it, or at least post the component so I can search around for it myself.

Since I can find the CNY17-1, capacitors and resistors, the only alternatives I need are for the,
(data sheets linked)
2N2220 NPN Silicon Planar Transistor ( Data sheet ),
BDW93C NPN Darlington pair ( Data Sheet ),
BDW94B PNP Darlington pair ( Data Sheet ).

Now, for the 2N2220 I have found here that I could also use the NTE123A. I'm not sure about this, so if anyone could confirm that it is a possible replacement, especially with checking against the circuit.

Also, for the BDW94B I found that I could use the NTE2343. The complimentary to that is the NTE2344 which is included in the data sheet linked.

The biggest issue here is of course availability, otherwise I wouldn't have to change the parts.

Thanks anyone who can help out here, I'll really appreciate it, if anyone wants to see the project as it is, I'll post photos.

Thanks,
Kyle.

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Last edited:

kyle6513

Dec 10, 2011
Hello Olivier!
Thanks for the reply, but alas I cannot find the PN2222 anywhere within my retailer's website :(.

I do like the idea of a more modern design, however I don't like the idea of all of the ICs, I would prefer something a little more simple, I believe the more simple a circuit is, the more robust it is (although I would probably be wrong in this case :D).

I did end up finding a nice newer circuit design that would probably work here, Also, with the way I will be interfacing with the H-Bridge, I need a simple forward and back control, speed control would be provided by PWM.

I just need to look over this circuit design and decide if it's worth the effort to get it, or just buy a ready made $100 board (which sounds like a lot less hassle!).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
PN2222 == 2N2222

See here for some equivalents.

kyle6513

Dec 10, 2011
Woah, thanks for that steve, ended up finding this on RadioSpares (MPS2222A) Seems to fit the criteria of the 2N2222! Although the circuit calls for a 2N2220.

I'm not experienced enough to know, the way I would probably check this would be to connect my best guess components together and wait for the smoke, I tried searching for a MPS2220 on the RS website to no avail. I'll have a look at more of the alternatives you provided.

OLIVE2222

Oct 2, 2011
Hi Kyle,

Hou can find many parts at mouser Australia:

http://au.mouser.com/

Yes simplest circuits tend to be more reliable and I am not an over engineering addict, however a small protection circuit seems OK to me.
If you go for a marketed product you can have a look on this:

http://www.bdmicro.com/rx50/

cheers,
Olivier