Connect with us

Datahand Keyboard Resurrection

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by mikeincousa, Apr 4, 2019.

1. mikeincousa

mikeincousa

Sep 5, 2016
    I purchased a Datahand keyboard ca 1999. With a rebuild maybe seven years ago it served me well. I purchase it as a prosthetic device. It helped me greatly with coordination and composition. I achieved a high level of words per minute with very high accuracy.

Datahand suddenly went out of business some time after that. I am more or less a disaster with a standard QUERTY keyboard. The oversized ones help some but I do not come close to what I could achieve on the Datahand. I put a link at the bottom that will give the background. There multiple images in Googlel

A little over a year ago the left thumb switch quit working properly. Then I thought it a problem with the IR relay. That key is the most used one and it could have simply worn out. I can get it to toggle one way once but it gets stuck somehow. I can manually reset and but I can only do it once again. It is has been over a year since I tired to use it so I am a bit rusty on the details.

I later thought there could be something wrong with one of the IC's further into the circuit? I am sure they are primitive given today's technology. But I would think the device does not need the latest and greatest to function like new with a repair of some sorts?

Along the way I have thought that replacing the relay or installing a TTL gate could fix the problem?

I have not engaged in any serious bread-boarding for several decades. A few years ago I purchased an Arduino Uno but did not get past the basics. I thought that if push comes to shove the Uno or a device like it could bypass the stall.

I had reason to think about extracting firmware a few months ago and that got to again think about resurrecting the Datahand.

I need a lot of guidance and direction on this so I will appreciate any thoughts or experiences you might kindly provide. I have a lot of very technical / legal writing ahead of me. It would be very helpful to do that with the Datahand.

Thanks for any thought or suggestions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DataHand

2. wejn

wejn

Apr 4, 2019
    If you search for “lalboard” and “Jesusfreke” in your favorite search engine, you will find an opensource datahand clone.

All you need is a 3D printer and some soldering skills.

3. mikeincousa

mikeincousa

Sep 5, 2016
    I am looking for a repair,not a replacement. This is major project beyond my skills and interests and time availability.

Ask a Question