Connect with us

Data storage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Members Lounge' started by davelectronic, Sep 20, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Hi all.
    I thought this the right place to ask.
    Has any one out there tried online data storage, ive given it a try on one of the basic free sites first, if its handy and i make use of the free one, then i will subscribe to one of the premium ones, just wandering if any other members have tried it.

Only going that way as technology is leaping ahead with this cloud and virtual storage plans the tech guys have, one day HDD might be no more. Dave. :)

2. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    I store some information in the cloud, such as free software/information that I give away. I also store some information in e.g. google documents, especially if I need to work on it with someone else.

But I have a problem with putting e.g. my whole hard disk into the cloud. The problem is that you have no idea who is looking at your data or what they're doing with it. The only way I'd be willing to use it would be if I could insert an encryption stream into the process that I wrote myself so that I could trust it.

Hard disks will continue to be manufactured because I believe the demand will continue to be there (certainly the cloud needs them). The type of technology might change (e.g., some nanotechnology wonder could displace magnetic recording), but the basic hardware/software architecture is so entrenched it would take decades to replace it (and whatever replaced it would be substantially the same).

We talked about the cloud 15 years ago and more and hypothesized what it would look like (I was working at a disk drive company at the time). Some folks felt even then that it would completely take over the computing landscape; I was more skeptical. It certainly has a place, but I suspect it will remain only a fraction of all the computing/storage. I'll go out on a limb and predict that it might get to 50% to 2/3 of the "market", but not more.

3. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Hi Daddles. Yes i see what you mean, i watch a BBC program could click, and fist learned about it there. I consider myself a pc learner still, but new ideas like online data storage has appeal to me, the sercurity issue is a consideration, i would not store personal info in there, just some project stuff, what ive enlisted to is 50 GB free storage basic account, but i am really into all PC tech now, a few years ago i could not have forseen my computer use, so its all really interesting stuff. Dave.

4. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    I use Dropbox, but only for insecure stuff that I may need to use on the move (normally work, PDFs and photos). It's 2GB free and then you can pay for more space, but it's a decent chunk of storage for free :).

If you want to use storage for something like Photos, then Google Picasa is a good free service.

5. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    daddles, I believe if you was my next door neighbor we would be friends. It is always hard to find people that have my same interest. Yet you work with computers, dabble in electronics and, try your hand at machining. Is it possible that out of the 6 billion I have found my doppelganger???

Dave, I am like daddles, I prefer my information to be my own. Only free services I have ever used online was github and google docs. Github, because I used it as a backup for all my *nix config files and google docs for non-sensitive information. I have never found a reason to need storage and I have been at this for a long time.

I don't do movies on the computer and that is by far the biggest hog of space on a personal pc. What exactly do you need the space for if you don't mind me asking? I can't imagine a normal person needing more then 1T HD

6. daddles

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
    That's certainly possible -- but I suspect there are lots of folks like us. A couple of decades ago I tracked down my birth family (I'm adopted) and discovered that my birth father and I were remarkably similar. When my wife first talked to his widow (he had died 4 or 5 years before I found out who he was), she said it was quite spooky to hear the descriptions of him, as it almost sounded like I was being described.

When I worked at high-tech companies, it was common to find other technical folks who had similar interests. So those folks with the same interests are out there -- but it can be challenging to find them.

7. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Hi all.
    I think every one has a family story in them somewhere.
    My interest in computers only spans 2 years, so i am some what of a novice, Ive learnt fast, i have had to or i want be able to put my kids mistakes right.

I see myself as a dabbler, i particularly like the hardware side of computers, and equally like googleing for better and faster more useful software, i like the ability to alter the parameters for more efficiency, i am on this old p4 emachine with 1.5 gig processor and 1.5 gig's of SD ram, ok it cost a bit, but its quit quick for an old machine, the fact its 10 years old, the original 40 gb hdd has had 82 days use, amazing for an old machine.

All i did was a ram upgrade, reseated the psu cooler with some good quality thermal silver compound, put a new psu in, didant want failure, ram was about £ 125.00 yes i am mad.

Oh and a thorougher clean out, and installed updates and programs, it XP pro on sp3.
    Why the online storage, well my eldest daughter wants massive amounts of media storage, pic's music, drawings she does documents for exams etc, she's eat her flash drives space, and none of her stuff is sensitive in nature, so i thought i would look in to on line storage, i don't want her making new files, putting it all over the place constantly chasing why my storage space is dropping, 40 gig's with the OS on it, and thats it, 250 gig's external for my and the family stuff, including running programs from it.

So i thought as her stuff masses a lot of space moving some to online storage, its basic free and 50 gig's of space etc, with tools to do stuff with the files should she want to, ive got picasa already, its a useful tool.

I just like some of these old machines, there is life left in some of them, yes not as fast as a current desk top, or laptop, but ive been picking up the odd one here and there for less than £ 50.00, but being carefully selective, i don't want something thats been to hell and back, or beaten up, i use cpuz to get most of the spec if its not apparent already.

So that it really, the current machine has had a good life, previous owner looked after it.
    Dave. :)

The old E monster machine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  8. jackorocko

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
    old computers make perfect storage solutions. Though, I would recommend a linux variant and then hook up samba shares to access it. You would be surprised how well this works and how remote of a solution it can be.

I still remember the day my cousin built my first computer, it opened up a whole world of intrigue for me. It even led to some extra money over the years. It is always fun when you can dabble in something you like and earn some coin over it because others are appreciative of your efforts.

BTW, that pc looks clean. Looks like you got a good deal. Sucks about the ram, the old stuff is like gold it seems. I have ran into that myself, most people just op for a better computer and they give me the old ones. :)

9. davelectronic

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
    Yes cant see why not, the ram price is tough, i was told i might not find any here where iam, local they where right, i ordered 3 x 512 PC 133 from offtek, only one arrived, got fed up bought the other two from maplins, wow at a whopping £50.00 for 512, ouch, 100 quid for two modules. My other two modules have gone walkies, chasing it up, don't no where it went.
    Dave. :)

Ask a Question