Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Data Encoder(Alps)

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017
Hi
I came across that people are taking advantage of people like me ho isn't an engineer and are selling little components for a lot of money just because those parts were used in the famous equipment(like this one)

https://www.mpcstuff.com/akai-mpc-3000-rotary-jog-wheel-encoder/

I know its a Alps brand and its a data encoder.

And they are looking 75$ Which to me is ridiculous probably this item without flashy description"for Akai MPC 3000" would cost 1.75$
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Akai-MPC-3000-Replacement-Data-Encoder-/322430901352

Any chance you could help me find this one for "normal"price or any new one but equivalent one txt will work as this on the pictures what parameters I need to be compering in order to buy different one but could do the same job and cost 1000 times less.
Best regards.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Depends on whether you're concerned over 'originality' of the equipment i.e. keeping its provenance. But if all you want is for it to work then any incremental, mechanical, encoder with the correct number of steps and matching bushing/shaft arrangement will work.

But to obtain one that has the correct splined shaft (how will you get the knob to fit?), the nut-fixing etc may not be as easy to source as you'd imagine. Those ALPS encoders are all NOS (new old stock) and no longer manufactured AFAIK so the remaining stock commands a premium price.

Have you tried 'servicing' the existing encoder? They come apart easily by bending back the four tabs and some cleaning/lubrication may get it going again.

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

"Have you tried 'servicing' the existing encoder? They come apart easily by bending back the four tabs and some cleaning/lubrication may get it going again".

No actually I haven't.

Sorry actually I am looking for Volume Pot.And thats the one I have in my equipment.

https://www.vstservice.com/p-934-akai-mpc-3000-volume-pot.aspx

Attachments

• Volume.JPG
    Volume.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Why did your thread indicate the need for encoders when you now say you need 'volume pots'???

They look like standard dual-gang potentiometers, 10kΩ log - can we see the reverse of the board? Anyway, they are available from many sources. You need to measure the diameter of the splined shaft and its length to get the right replacement though.

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017
Sorry I've made a mistake.

"can we see the reverse of the board?"
I can't at the moment the unit its in the repair shop.

"Anyway, they are available from many sources. You need to measure the diameter of the splined shaft and its length to get the right replacement though."

Thanks.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
'Dual' just refers to the fact that here are two potentiometers operated by the same shaft - you can tell this by the two sets of three terminals of each pot.

Potentiometers have 'laws' where linear (suffix B) means the resistance is directly proportional to the position of the wiper on the track (i.e. half way mark would be half the value) but suffix A refers to a logarithmic scale - most often used in audio applications where the human ear responds in a logarithmic manner to volume.

You can 'swap' A and B types but you'll get a funny response from the volume control if you do so! Not recommended.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010

ssyniu

Sep 20, 2017
Yes, there is a retaining clip at the base of the shaft but, once removed, the shaft comes free and can be changed.

Ok than problem solved.
Thanks very much for your help.
Can you just answer this just out of curiosity:
Is it possible to use 50K in stead of 10K???

All the best.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Possibly - it will affect the signal loading and may change the volume but generally you won't really notice a huge difference.