Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DAT "video" head replacement?

OK, now the URL works so I saw the picture.

I remember in later VHS days some of the replacement heads were supplied with the upper part of the rotary transformer. Are you sure this isn't like that ?

N

N_Cook

Jan 1, 1970
OK, now the URL works so I saw the picture.

I remember in later VHS days some of the replacement heads were supplied with the upper part of the rotary transformer. Are you sure this isn't like that ?

Wherever they intended you to replace the top disc of a VCR they always
supplied good mechanical fixing points for clamping to, to break the fit
to the bearing. Not in this case 7x 1mm , 5 thread deep, tapped holes
were just there for holding motor to drum and drum to deck. The threaded
holes would be at least 3mm for any mechanical loading in extraction.

C

Cydrome Leader

Jan 1, 1970
I believe were specially recorded with no ATF signals,"

OK, so they were separate frequencies, not the carriers.

However the lack of ATF signals is not required to align the deck. You still just align it, although you might confuse the system.

Most likely with a print you can find a way to disable the ATF system altogether, even if you have to disconnect the output from the heads. Believe me it can be done and should be done on a customer tape recorded previously in that machine, partly because compatability with other machines is not likely to be a big issue. For alignment I would get the tape tension as low as possible.

You know they said you needed all this equipment to align the old VHS recorders that had pots for the FM deviation and frequency and all that shit. Know what I did ? I just coupled the record signal to a deck "playing" a blank tape and "tuned it in". There is almost always a way, and remember, they are in business to make money.

ha!