Connect with us

Daewoo DMC80C39 CMOS Single Component 8-bit Microcomputer

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by drillbit, Jul 28, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. drillbit

drillbit

Jul 28, 2016
    Bought one of these, and wondering how I can go about programming it, if at all possible.

I'm guessing I need an IDE of some kind, and maybe a programmer to download the program to the chip, but I can't find anything on Google about this chip and how to program it.

Can anyone advise? Or should I just bin it?

Datasheet is here.

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    The datahseet states: "Pin compatible with 80C48/80C35/80C49/80C39" so any tool for one of these should be suitable.

That's what I'd do. These are so obsolete. You'll get more bang for the buck using one of the more modern processors like AVR, PIC, ...

3. drillbit

drillbit

Jul 28, 2016
    Thanks Harald. The fact that it is obsolete is what made it seem like a fun thing to try.
    I've googled everything I can think of, but I can't find a programmer which says it will work with the 80Cs either. Any idea where I could find one? If they are going to be expensive I guess I will have to give up my plan to have a bit of fun...

4. TedA

TedA

Sep 26, 2011
    I believe the 80C39 has no program memory on-chip. It was intended to work with an EPROM.

This microcontroller family from Intel originally had only mask-ROM for on-chip program memory.

I'm sure you can find a free assembler somewhere online. You may have to run it under DOS. Or, a UNIX assembler might be adapted to Linux.

You will need an EPROM programmer and a few EPROMs. I expect that EEPROMs will work, too.

Easiest way might be to program a modern flash microcontroller to emulate an external ROM for your 80C39.

Ted

5. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Now that's a crutch...:confused:

Ask a Question