Connect with us

D-Sub crimps

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Sarunas Nejus, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Sarunas Nejus

Sarunas Nejus

Sep 21, 2015
    Hello guys,

I am looking for an easy way of connecting panel-mounted D-Sub connector to CAN/USB converter. After couple of searches, I've realised that the most feasible solution would be to use D-Sub crimps (I only need 3 pins), however, I do not want to crimp the wires myself, therefore I want to ask: has anyone ever seen any leaded crimps on sale? Like this guy, just with a wire already in it. I've checked couple of the most popular electronics marketplaces but they don't seem to have anything like that to sell.

Looking forward to your answers and thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Sarunas

2. Old Steve

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
    If the pins are the right size, (pin-header size, 1mm I think), there are plenty of sellers of these on eBay:-
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/400932550893

I bought a few lots, F-F and M-F to cut up for my projects. The plastic insulation is a bit stiff, but otherwise they're OK.

3. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    It's probably easier to find a cheap serial cable, cut off one end to whatever length you need, and cut the connector out of the molding. One knife, no soldering or crimping.

ak

4. Sarunas Nejus

Sarunas Nejus

Sep 21, 2015
    Thanks for suggestions guys!

Old Steve, I believe that jumper wires in this case would not be suitable. I'm looking for the crimps specifically for this sort of connector.

AnalogKid, this sort of solution is okay for works in a lab, but if we consider serial production, that wouldn't be very feasible. That's why I'm looking for some sort of ready crimped wire, which could be just plugged into a connector and work's done.

5. Old Steve

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
    I had a bit of a mental blank when I posted, couldn't picture what a "D-sub" was. I saw the picture you linked to and it appeared to be for square pins. It came to me a few minutes later. :oops:

6. Sarunas Nejus

Sarunas Nejus

Sep 21, 2015
    Just re-checked that link... Yeah, it was actually my mistake, sorry! This picture should do better. If only I had those crimps with wires already in them.

Old Steve likes this.
  7. Sarunas Nejus

Sarunas Nejus

Sep 21, 2015
    I found this leaded connector, which is Micro-D. Unfortunately, it seems that the market has not got any leaded D-Sub connectors to offer.

8. Old Steve

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
    I did a bit of a search myself, but the only one I found was a 15-pin D-Sub, (VGA). I assume you want 9-pin?

9. Sarunas Nejus

Sarunas Nejus

Sep 21, 2015
    Yes, 9-pin. Where did you find it? Can you please share the link with me?

10. Old Steve

Old Steve

Jul 23, 2015
    Sarunas Nejus likes this.
  11. Sarunas Nejus

Sarunas Nejus

Sep 21, 2015
    Hm, thanks anyway!

12. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Interesting detail to leave out. The majority of pre-crimped leads on the market are surplus. New, unused, etc., but also from an uncontrollable source using unknown parts and having unpredictable long term supply. For a production environment, nothing can match the flexibility and control that comes from owning your own crimper.

ak

13. TedA

TedA

Sep 26, 2011
    Sarunas,

For real production, a harness or cable house ( job shop ) is the answer.

Depending on where you are, a connector manufacturer's sales office should be able to refer you to some suitable sources. Local industrial directories, or electronics distributors might also help you find a vendor.

Some electronic component distributors do "value added" work like this.

Ted

14. Sarunas Nejus

Sarunas Nejus

Sep 21, 2015
    Thanks guys.

Ask a Question