Connect with us

Custom PWM

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by aspico, Sep 13, 2011.

1. aspico

aspico

Sep 13, 2011
    Need someone to help design a custom PWM to mimic the function of a Chicago Electric, 80 amp, inverter arc welder, model 91110 - in resting state (just turned on - no welding)

For some reason, just by luck, the setup works for our application. We have been to numerous "electrical" experts and not one can tell us what or why it's doing what it's doing? We don't care, it's doing it and we want to reproduce it on a smaller scale. We obviously don't want or need the welding capabilities, just the PWM function.

From what we can gather it's producing about 1 - 2 amps, frequency is around 400hz and approx 8 volts. We don't know how it is pulsating/oscillating?

We would like to be able to have someone design something that replicates these specs and then allow us to adjust the following

Volts - adjustable from 0 - 50

Amps - adjustable from 0 - 10

Frequency - adjustable 0 - 1khz

If you can do it or know someone who can do it, please email me directly ASAP! Thanks for your indulgence of my ignorance!

- Don
    [email protected]

2. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    Since these Chicago Electric Welders are available from Harbor Freight Tools for $139.99, are you expecting a custom design to cost considerably less than that? Does your "PWM" mean pulse width modulation?

What I would do is get a heavy duty power supply such as the B&K Precision model 1791 (0-64 V, 10 A), and a pulse generator such as the Global Specialties model 4010 which has variable frequency and variable pulse width. Then use the pulse generator to drive a high current switching transistor to modulate the power supply DC current. Adjust it as you like.

3. aspico

aspico

Sep 13, 2011
    Laplace, Thanks for the quick reply. Yes the welder is from Harbor Freight and we were hoping, that since we don't need or utilize the welding function, that we could find someone on this board that could possibly "Reverse Engineer" the welder and determine which components we would need, then put together a smaller more compact unit.

As for it being a PWM, this is what we were told by the lead technician at a welder servicing company. He said the PWM inside is what causes the welder to pulsate current & frequency? We haven't a clue about electronics, obviously!

It sounds like you could possibly do it or know someone who could? We would be happy to provide a welder if needed and compensate someone who could do it. Let me know...

Attached Files:

Ask a Question