Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Current used for "each" instruction cycle

jacobkats

Nov 29, 2017
Hi all,

I am an Engineering student and I have a little confusion.

When developing a system with Micro-Controller (for example Attiny 417) - it is assumed as a digital component which work in a digital manner, right?
  1. How can I calculate or predict what current will it consume at each instruction cycle?

2. If I use a few instructions to make some "simple operation" (i.e. check memory according to incident) - will the current be "high" consumed only during the time of executing the instructions? Or does it take time to "stabilize" and high current keeps being consumed until the micro-controller return to sleep mode?

3. Is the sleep mode current provided in the datasheet is the same as it is in "real" conditions or does it vary? If so - how much?

Thanks!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Hi all,

I am an Engineering student and I have a little confusion.

When developing a system with Micro-Controller (for example Attiny 417) - it is assumed as a digital component which work in a digital manner, right?
  1. How can I calculate or predict what current will it consume at each instruction cycle?

2. If I use a few instructions to make some "simple operation" (i.e. check memory according to incident) - will the current be "high" consumed only during the time of executing the instructions? Or does it take time to "stabilize" and high current keeps being consumed until the micro-controller return to sleep mode?

3. Is the sleep mode current provided in the datasheet is the same as it is in "real" conditions or does it vary? If so - how much?

Thanks!
1. The datasheet will tell you how much current is drawn based on the supply voltage and operating frequency.

2. There is probably some delay in getting in and out of sleep mode where some intermediate current is used. Unless the wake time is very short this can probably be ignored.

3. The sleep mode current is a minimum that assumes no I/O pins are sourcing or sinking current.

Bob