Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Current regulator

hyudryu

Feb 24, 2010
I bought a voltage regulator at 5VDC and i want to make a current regulator after the voltage regulator to regulate it at 5VDC and 500mA
Then i will use a zener diode to keep it at 5VDC for my car ipod touch charger. Any diagrams?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You should not need to regulate the current. The iPod will draw what it wants and no more.

Typically (and this is a little simplified) a current regulator goes before the voltage regulator so that the voltage drop across the current regulator does not mess up the voltage (until the current limit is reached).

hyudryu

Feb 24, 2010
You should not need to regulate the current. The iPod will draw what it wants and no more.

Typically (and this is a little simplified) a current regulator goes before the voltage regulator so that the voltage drop across the current regulator does not mess up the voltage (until the current limit is reached).

Ok thanks, but i want to be on the safe side. so in case my ipod draws 1A accidently but if there wont be that errir, then il etch out my circuit and start soldering

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you want to be on the safe side, you would be far better placing some sort of crowbar protection on the 5V output just in case your regulator fails.

But practically, a fuse in the input (you are going to put one in there -- 1A should be OK) will provide reasonable protection.