Connect with us

Current Limiting Technique for 150V @ 40A

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by stube40, Feb 15, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. stube40

stube40

Feb 9, 2010
    I am setting up a brief experiment that involves a switch an array on twelve 12V lead-acid batteries into a test inductor load at 150V with a limited 40A current.

This test will only be conducted for about 10 seconds and I dont want to spend too much time/effort worrying about current limiting methods. Hence, I was going to spec a high-wattage resistor around 4Ohm, connect it in series with the batteries and throw it in a bath of liquid nitrogen to keep it cool. Since the test will run for only 10 seconds, I thought I would get away with this.

Anyone disagree or have any better suggestions?

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes, switchmode current limiting can be somewhat complicated.
    It should be sufficient to do it with a resistor even if the risetime of the current will suffer.
    You'll have to debate wether it can be placed in series with the batteries ir if it should be in series with the inductor itself.
    Liquid nitrogen sounds exotic but if you can get it cheap & easy - why not. I'd have settled for plain (distilled) water though.

3. stube40

stube40

Feb 9, 2010
    Many thanks - that's the 2nd useful post I've got from you in a few days so I'm very grateful. I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with this power stuff which is a new area to me!!

Ask a Question