Connect with us

Current Limiter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by jessemchenry, Apr 29, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. jessemchenry

jessemchenry

Apr 29, 2011
    Hello, I'm new to the site & want to say thanks in advance to any help offered. Here's my project. I have a trailer that I pull that I'm putting a 12v crane on. It will have it's own battery to run on. I want to be able to plug it into the truck's power when connected so it will charge the battery. My concern is that if the battery is drained fairly low, when connecting it, it will draw too much power and blow a fuse. And I don't want to have to run huge battery cable all the way back there. Is there a device that would limit the flow of current to a desired level, such as 15 or 20 amps, so I could use a #12 wire? This might also be better for the trailer battery than dumping a huge amount of amps into it all at once. Thanks again.
    -Jesse

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    It sounds like you need a trailer battery charger/booster intended for just this purpose.
    I seem to remember sometime having come across such items on the 'net somewhere.

3. jcurrie

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
    the line trucks i work on have a seperate battery for emergency power connected to the truck electrical system with a battery isolater with a #10 wire running to em battery ,try a RV supplier in your aera for a isolater.
    jim

Ask a Question