Connect with us

Curious Connector - what is it?

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by Cursitor Doom, Dec 24, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Hi all,

    Can anyone tell me the name of this type of connector? It's the 5 pin
    thin film thingy hanging off the bottom left of the chip which is itself
    hanging off the bottom left of the device in the first photo on this page:

    I have reason to believe it doesn't "plug into" anything as such, but
    relies on pressure behind it to hold it against corresponding pins on the
    pcb. On the reverse side of the chip there's a sticky pad which assists
    in alignment, but without pressure against the connector itself, there
    will be no connection as such if that makes any sense. Any ideas?

  2. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest


    I think the hyphens are screwing things up. If you copy and paste the
    entire 3 lines into the URL field, it WILL take you to the correct page
    (I just double checked). The magnified images are shown about halfway
    down the page...
  4. Maybe a common FFC/FPC flex cable connector.

  5. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Hmm..i had initially tried that...worked this time.
    PC boards that accept flex ribbon "cables" like that use a special
    small connector that has a slide for locking the ribbon in place.
    LCD displays, like those used in DMMs use a rubber-like "striped"
    interface (alternate conductive black and insulating grey) to the PCB
    traces, and mechanical pressure when mounted.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day