Connect with us

Curious about operation of charge controller

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by kong, Jan 20, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. kong

kong

Sep 26, 2010
    I found this popular circuit online which was built by Michael Davis for a wind turbine he built. He made his circuit open-source and many people have used it.

I have no trouble building it but I'm curious about how it works.

Can someone explain it to me?

http://mdpub.com/555Controller/images/555ChargeController2.jpg

Specifically about how the circuit is calibrated to charge/dump.

Thanks!

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It's a very simple circuit that charges the batteries until they hit a certain voltage, then it dumps the power from the solar panels/turbine until the battery voltage falls below another voltage.

R1 needs to be adjusted so that TP1 is at 1/3*5V (1.67V) when the battery voltage is low (say 12V)

R2 needs to be adjusted so that TP2 is at 2/3*5V (3.33V) when the battery is fully charged (say 14V)

Note that this circuit doesn't have any control of the charge current, nor does it take into account the temperature (which causes a change in cell voltage)

To understand further how it operates, look for circuits using the 555 as a schmitt trigger. The difference in this case is that the 2 inputs are not tied together. This allows control over the switching points and thus also the hysteresis.

3. kong

kong

Sep 26, 2010
    Thanks Steve! That answered my question.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Excellent, thanks. I wasn't sure if I was going to an appropriate level of detail or not.

Ask a Question