Connect with us

Curcuit design help needed, help.........

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Piooly, Oct 29, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Piooly

Piooly

Oct 29, 2012
    Hello everyone, I have just come across this site and thought it might hold the answer to what I am looking for. I am trying to design a product that has some electronics. The problem is I am a good mechanical designer but when it comes to electronics, I have no idea so I am looking for help if I anyone fancies a new project.

Basically I need to make a device that will measure a pulling pressure from say a rope to the device in grams/kg and display this output on some form of indicator. Ideally it would have a few modes like easy, medium, advanced etc to take account of pre programmed pressure variables. It also needs to monitor and output the "pressure" constantly, so for example the pressure will vary continually. It needs to be powered by a battery too.

Ideally the indicator would be a LCD output or something along those lines, something that displays an actual number and not just light a bulb up.

So there we are, is this something Anyone could help me with or do I need to post this message in a different area? Thanks to everyone on advance that replies.

Oliver.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What sort of loads are you considering? You're probably looking at a strain gauge of some sort.

You can purchase a complete unit with display for under $10 (for 100 gram resolution up to about 100 kg from memory

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    A portable scale for travel luggage might be "abused" for this purpose.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    yeah, like this one.

5. Piooly

Piooly

Oct 29, 2012
    Well its a bit of an unknown at the moment as I need to test it to see what sort of loads it needs to detect. I have bought one as you sugguested, this measures in 5 gram increments which should easily be enough. I shalll have to see if I can take it appart and move the circuit board away from the display as I need them separated.

Thanks for the idea. Just depends how fast it is as measuring, I'm sure their will be one out there suitable for reasonable money...

If it works, then I will need to basically copy the design of the curcuit board so that I can mass produce it. Depends if its just cheap to buy the units and take them appart. Maybe the manufacturer could sell the electronics only..........

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    You do realize that that is illegal, right? (And probably not as simple as you think.)

Bob

Ask a Question