Connect with us

Cube Adaption to Amplifier

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Trainman, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Trainman

Trainman

Nov 13, 2018
    I came across this old non working Cube type Philips radio/tape player in my garage that could be carried around with a strap over the shoulder. It has 4 speakers inside and architucture that would suit a single channel voice amplifier that I could use with my guitar. I sing a bit low and play with a pick so the guitar is quite loud drowning out my voice a bit unless I put a lot of effort in to raise the voice. I stripped everything out that is no longer needed and I am now left with the speaker installation. That is 2No at 4w x 8Ώ's and 2No at 2w x 8Ώ'. A note on the bottom of the unit it makes mention of 22 Watts. It has 240V mains and battery power to the innards amounts to 12volts.

I have found this 60W 12V Hi-Fi Digital Stereo Audio Amplifier Control Board on Banggood that I think I could use to do the conversion. Am I on the correct track?

Also what is the output of the speakers as I am confused with the 22 Watts that is mentioned on the bottom of the unit. I attach images of the stripped out unit.

Attached Files:

2. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    The 22W is the electricity input power that mostly creates heat. The speakers are tiny and low power, two are 4W maximum and two are only 2W maximum.

The Banggood Chinese amplifier uses the TDA8946 IC that is not digital and does not produce 60W. Its output is shown on its datasheet to begin clipping at 4W into 8 ohms per stereo channel when powered from 12V. It can drive only two of the tiny speakers, not all four of them.

If the microphone can hear the speakers then what will prevent the resulting acoustical feedback howling?

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    A different amp is not going to help with the balance between guitar and voice. What you need is a mic preamp with a volume control so you can balance them.

Bob

4. Audioguru

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
    The Banggood amplifier has stereo mic inputs (for people with two heads;)) with its volume control and has a stereo line input with its own volume control. I think the line inputs will not be used since the guitar is probably acoustic, not electric.
    I do not think the tiny low power speakers will increase the voice level enough due to their missing bass sounds and feedback.

Ask a Question