Connect with us

CT-96 Adjustable temp soldering iron, circuit help..

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by tkid, Jan 16, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tkid

tkid

Jan 16, 2014
    Hi, I have a CT-96 adjustable temp soldering iron which works great initially, but after around 12 mths of intermittent use, it stopped working.. What i found was that the MAC97A8 Triac had failed, along with the LM358 op-amp had also failed.
    Replacing these fixed it, for at least another 12mths!
    What I would like, is if anyone is familiar with the circuit for these things, to suggest what else I could do to improve the reliability of the circuit to prevent the eventual failure of the MAC97A8 and LM358? I have attached photo showing both component and copper track sides, and if there is enough interest, I would be happy to map out the circuit and post as well.. Thanks in advance..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What was the failure mode of the triac?

It might be useful to get a higher voltage rated triac.

It also might be useful to place a large MOV across the power connections inside the soldering iron.

You'll know if this works in about 13 months...

3. tkid

tkid

Jan 16, 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply.. the Triac failed with shorts between MT1 and MT2 to Gate, measured around 150Ω resistance between them. I will look into getting a suitable upgrade to the triac, and maybe add a snubber network across it as well?

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The load is probably dominantly resistive, so I don't think you'll need a snubber network, but it can't hurt.

Ask a Question