Maker Pro
Maker Pro

CRT

Aspenpaw

Jun 20, 2019
Ok, so I was mucking about in the control panel of windows settings, playing with the resolution on my monitor to see whether I could get a sharper picture. but after a little bit of fiddling, the CRT lost it. It first made a quiet but really high pitched EEEEE noise, then the picture went bananas. anyone who has enough expertise to answer my query will know what a CRT going nuts looks like. (There was not a horizontal line or a dot-in-the-middle at any point by the way). I then pressed the power button on the tower running the monitor. My only clue that I was shutting down was the "bling" shutdown noise from the speakers. I then rebooted the machine, and instead on the BIOS, I received a disjointed image of it for a split-second, then it cut to black. I then gave up on it as broken, after several reptitions of this. I unplugged it, then went to bed. The next morning, I turned it on, The BIOS screen was nowhere to be seen, and wasn't displayed. I waited, and then the Windows logon screen appeared like there had been no problem. I rebooted the computer, same thing. The monitor refused to display the BIOS, but displays Windows fine. The only thing that is different is their resolutions. How is this a problem? Is it repaireable? Or is it on the the brink of death? Oh, and while it was warming up, every 10 seconds, it would produce a ZZIT noise and the image would jerk, but that stopped after a while

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

It sounds like you have choosen an resolution for the monitor that does not match the ranges of the monitor.
Go back to the old settings and see if that solves the problem.

Bertus

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I wonder why you are mucking around with a CRT monitor when cheap LCD/LED monitors with higher resolutions are available?

The ZZIT noise is probably arcing in the fly-back transformer. It can only get worse, now that the insulation has started to break down, but if you can quickly restore the original monitor settings the CRT may last a little while longer.

I pitched my monochrome and color CRT monitors years ago, keeping only a little 12" B&W CRT monitor that I use with a cheap B&W video camera. If I can find a comparable and cheap LCD/LED monitor I will bench the CRT until it eventually fails, but I won't repair it because they just aren't worth the time and energy I have to expend to repair them. Same-o, same-o with TVs: haven't attempted to repair one these since the 1960s. Cheaper and easier to just buy a replacement. I was at a BestBuy ogling the 4K TVs a few days ago and happened to walk further down the aisle where they had stashed, virtually out of sight, LCD/LED wide-screen, hi-res, color monitors with up to 32" screens! The prices were unbelievably cheap compared to what I would have paid (if I could have afforded it) just a few years ago.

Is someone about to announce a new product that you can just paint on your wall for fifty bux a gallon to make a large-screen, hi-res, color TV? Absolutely nothing surprises me anymore.

Of course if you are a live-with-your-parents teenager with an almost zero budget, as we all were once upon a time, I can understand and even sympathize with your situation. But better resolution and a sharper image on the monitor comes by design, not by mucking around with the Windows settings. If you can do as @bertus suggested, restore the settings to their original values and hope for the best.

Aspenpaw

Jun 20, 2019
I'm giving it up. (the CRT). The only reason I wanted to keep it was because it was a third monitor (two for a gaming machine, one for a server machine). I'm going to borrow one of the gaming machine's ones. They are 2009ish DELL OptiPlexs. They may be small (10"?) and have an annoying aspect ratio for gaming (4:3),
but they are LCDs. (HALLELUJAH!!!). And you were quite right. the "out" valve on my bank account is very firmly closed, as very little is going in. (I'm 14), Thank you very much for your generous and enlightening replies! @bertus @hevans1944

majoco

Nov 10, 2019
A shop near me that mainly sells to offices etc sells off old equipment for a pittance - office equipment is a tax write-off after some three years or so - the shop has monitors, printers, bricks for not much more than NZ$25 if you talk to the receptionist nicely!

jaksonlee

Nov 7, 2019
cathode ray tube, a CRT is the electron beams in a monitor that move across your screen either interlaced or non-interlaced, hitting phosphor dots on the inside glass tube. The picture is an example of the inside of a computer monitor that shows the CRT connected to the screen.In the CRT are three electron guns: red, green, and blue. Each of these guns streams a steady flow of electrons, left to right, for each line of your monitor. As the electrons hit the phosphors on the CRT, the phosphor will glow certain intensities. As a new line begins, the guns will then begin at the left and continue right. These guns will repeat this process sometimes thousands of times until the screen is completely drawn line by line.
Because of this, the CRT must be refreshed, which means the process will be repeated as explained above. If the video card's refresh rate is not set high enough, you may encounter a flicker or a noticeable steady line scrolling from the top to the bottom of your screen.