Maker Pro
Maker Pro

cross reference

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
is there a on line cross reference guide that isn't in greek?

jc

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Cross reference guide to what?

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
Cross reference guide to what?

don't know what i was thinking electrical comp. something like the old GE cross guide there is a number different factory of codes for comps
jc

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
When you want a cross-reference, it's usually something quite specific.

We've had a thread here recently where someone was looking for cross-reference lists from propriety HP part numbers to OEM part numbers.

cross-reference listings of OEM parts to other OEM parts seem to be a thing of the past. In most cases you can use suppliers' search engines to do a pretty god job of finding parts with similar specifications.

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
thanks was dreading that , been using alldata for comparsion but its slow that way the GE book i have is over 20 years old , quess i'll just keep pluging along.
jc

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If you run into trouble on specific part numbers, try here again.
A lot of us have data on specific manufacturers.
There is no all-encompassing cross ref for everything.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Why not post a couple of examples of what you're looking for. I agree that searching for equivalents using a parametric search is a whole lot harder than looking them up in a book, but the books were not perfect either.

Unless parts are almost identical, the books might specify a replacement that is OK in almost all circumstances, but not all. And if you have one of those other cases...

The books are of course great if you have no access to the original parts OR data which describes them. But that's then putting your faith in the hope your use is not an edge case where the equivalent... isn't.

tryppyr

Oct 22, 2013
Ironic, isn't it, than in this age of information in which EVERYTHING is on the internet it can still be difficult to find that one piece of information you really need. It probably is out there... and alldatasheets is a good source. But finding it and confirming that it is the RIGHT piece of data can be challenging.

Parametric searches often turn up "near matches" (otherwise know as partial includes) that have nothing to do with your search. You have to read carefully what results are provided, especially on alldatasheets.

I have found that some other web sites can help, but as was noted previously, you have to take that information with a grain of salt. Replacing obsolete parts with parts that "should work in most applications" is at best a gamble. But it's better than sitting on your hands for years waiting for an original NOS part to show up.

By the way, here is a link to the HP part number cross reference spreadsheet I developed. If you don't have Excel, here is a link to the same information in PDF form.

- Greg

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
As long as we're gumbling here, I'll grumble too.
My bugaboo, is that so many of the old manufacturers went out of business or sold
themselves to somebody else, that it's hard getting data on their parts.
Add to that, that those old data sheets were in books, and when the company discontinued
some of their product lines, they never entered the data sheets into digital form.
Then you've got the product lines that didn't make a profit, so the manufacturer made
some data sheets for their buyers, and never bothered putting the devices in data books.
And don't forget the dozens of up-start semiconductor manufacturers that made a
splash in the pan with their products, and then went out of business within a few years.
Is it any wonder that there is no all-encompassing data base?

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
Steve what i'm trying to cross ref is jap numbers like 2sa616 to usa.

Greg thanks i'm using circuits from moderers all over the world using alldata works for most ,but a lot of the curcuits are old and part# as you say obsolite.
jc

mahone

Dec 21, 2013
about 90% of the time, octopart turns up what I need. here's a link

octopart.com/partsearch

jcurrie

Feb 22, 2011
thanks for link mahone though it turned up nothing on the jap numbers.
jc

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
There ARE Japanese to JEDEC cross references available (or there were anyway),
I have an old one in print form.
NTE is another cross-reference system you might try.