Connect with us

Crimp connectors

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by Mr Ed, Oct 8, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Oct 6, 2017
    Hi,
    Are there any crimp connectors suitable for connecting components (diodes, resistors etc) to stranded wire?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    not specifically, that I am aware of
    what are you trying to do and why cant you just solder the wired and put heatshrink over the joint ?

3. Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Oct 6, 2017
    No reason I can't solder it. It's just that there seems to be crimp connectors for just about every situation so I thought I would try them out if possible.

4. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    They are called barrel crimp connectors, sometimes seen in appliances to join the inline thermal fuse and other purposes etc.
    M.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  5. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    The crimps shown above might not offer as secure a crimp as you require given they are usually rated for 0.5mm to 1.5mm C.S.A wires.

There are 'bootlace ferrules' that accept smaller diameter wires but you'd have to cut the 'boot' off and heatshrink the crimped joint.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    And for many of the crimping tools for these you'll need to make sure you can get the crimping tool over the component.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  7. Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Oct 6, 2017
    Not worth the trouble. I'll just go with solder.

8. hexreader

hexreader

Apr 21, 2011
    No need for cutting the boot off of a bootlace ferrule.

Just buy ferrules with no boot, such as: http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/sten-1008/ferrules-uninsulated-bootlace/dp/CN11650

Very handy for all sorts of jobs, and uses same crimp tool as booted ferrules

Not found boot-less ferrules for smaller sizes (0.25 and 0.34) though, so maybe cutting off the boot is still needed here. Admittedly I have not looked very hard.

Ask a Question