Connect with us

Cree Mounting

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by JFS-Chatt, Jan 17, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. JFS-Chatt

JFS-Chatt

Jan 7, 2015
    Hi all -- working on a project to make a jar LED light. I want to use perfboard to mount a Cree 1 W LED. The perfboard will be cut to sit on top of an AA battery case which is glued to the inside of the jar lid. My question is this: Should I glue the back of the Cree to the perfboard? Is there some other standard mounting procedure? Thanks in advance.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If you are operating the LED anything near the rated power you will need to provide a heat sink. Is the LED on a "star"? If so you may be able to get away without further heatsinking.

3. JFS-Chatt

JFS-Chatt

Jan 7, 2015
    Thanks. It is a star PCB with sinks. I think I will try just a minuscule touch of gorilla glue on the back to keep it in place.

4. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    If it's mounted to a star, you can also fasted it with small screws to the perf board. (Please note that the star will get hot to the touch.)

Ask a Question