Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Creating a battery pack for this?

brad12d3

Sep 14, 2011
Is there a way to create a battery pack for this product so that it could be portable. Sorry if this seems like an obvious question. I am very much a layman when it comes to electronics.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Reading the data on the site you have given, it takes up to 5W but needs 12V at 1.2A which is 14.4W. The heavier the load, the greater the current taken.
A 12V sealed lead/acid battery should do.

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
The short answer is yes, it's possible. Whether it's practical or cost effective is another matter. You need to find out the AC line voltage and current that it's rated to run at; this allows us to calculate the required power. Then you also need to specify how long you want it to run on battery power.

Don't be surprised if a suitable battery setup costs substantially more than the device does -- my guess is that it's not very energy efficient. You're probably looking at a deep cycle RV battery and a suitably-rated inverter. You could easily lay down a $200-$300 for such things. But we can't give you any harder numbers until you give us the required data above.

brad12d3

Sep 14, 2011
Here's a pic of the power supply. Does this help? I am looking for something that could power it for about 20 minutes. Preferably a small battery pack if possible.
wuntzc.jpg

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Here's a pic of the power supply. Does this help? I am looking for something that could power it for about 20 minutes. Preferably a small battery pack if possible.

duke already answered your question. If I did my math right, it will be consuming about 30Amp Hours a day. So now you can start looking for a battery.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-35ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery-group-u1.html

But I don't think you should buy a perfectly sized battery for the job, going bigger is always better when it comes to batteries, except for the price :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Duke's the only one that took the time to read the Q&A's - that says it usually draws less than 1W (83mA), but a maximum of 5W (417mA).
So it seems that running it maxed out for 20 min's requires only 5W / 12V / 3 = 139mAh, so you can use a very small 12V NiMH pack indeed.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Duke's the only one that took the time to read the Q&A's - that says it usually draws less than 1W (83mA), but a maximum of 5W (417mA).
So it seems that running it maxed out for 20 min's requires only 5W / 12V / 3 = 139mAh, so you can use a very small 12V NiMH pack indeed.

Then why do they do that, companies provide power supplies 3 times the max current draw of the load?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Then why do they do that, companies provide power supplies 3 times the max current draw of the load?

Because running a power supply at full tilt makes it run hot and have a reduced lifetime. It should always be over-rated (& always is) , just like fuses should be.
In this case a 500mA supply would not neccessarily be any (at least not much) cheaper than the 1200mA one. Cheap insurance.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010

Because it's a cheap, off the shelf product (the power supply).

It may well be more expensive to get a custom power supply manufactured.

Another option is that it reduces their need for inventory if they can use the same power supply for a range of their products (and being able to order larger quantities may reduce the overall cost to the manufacturer.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Thank you guys so much for the help. It is really important that the battery pack be as small as possible. Now that I know that I can do that it makes what I am trying to do much easier. So could something like this work: http://www.all-battery.com/12v4200mahflatnimhbatterypackforairsoftgunanddcpower-1.aspx

What they show in the picture is not what the product is. Read further and you'll see it's ten sub-C cells and weighs almost 1kg.

8 x AA NiMH cells would probably do the job just fine and be a lot lighter. Charging them might be an issue unless the cells can be removed to use a normal AA charger, or you have a charger designed for such a pack.