Connect with us

Creating 1 cat5e cable with 2 cables.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by tommis15, Nov 24, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tommis15

tommis15

Apr 15, 2014
    On one end is the router, on the other is a printer that I want networked... I wanted to combine 2 old cables I had laying around instead of buying a new cable so I bought an Inline Coupler.

I come home to find, that there are more than one type... Straight and inverse. The guy in the store told me gave me the one that says inverse, did he give me the wrong one?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Many routers these days can figure it out for themselves. See if it works. If it doesn't, you won't damage anything.

3. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    It's hard to say... depends if he knew what he was talking about...
    If the coupler is for a phone system... then it could be wrong, even if the jack fits. This could result in pin 1 becoming pin 8, pin2 to 7, etc... it will result in a 'roll-over' cable, and it will not work for you.
    If the coupler does not do this, then your fine. To keep things cheap the correct coupler is usually built so that one cable plug in face down, and the other plugs in face up. This reduces the internal wiring, but is not always 100% accurate. Like Steve said though, no harm will come to it trying.

I'm certain that most network devices only auto-detect between the T568A and T568B configurations and won't work if presented a 'roll-over' cable or other type of wire scheme. It's been a while though, and like you mentioned, no harm will come from attaching it any which way unless you start messing with devices that use PoE (Power over Ethernet)

4. tommis15

tommis15

Apr 15, 2014
    Well unfortunately it didn't work, but I went back to the store and bought the "straight" through and it worked. The printer was detected almost instantly.

The worst part is that the store I bought it from accepts no returns or exchanges even if the guy who sold it to me said it would work and it didn't. It didn't cost much, but not the point.

Thanks for your help...

5. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah I was assuming inverse meant crossover.

In many places the fact that you asked for advice and were sold something to solve a particular problem will open up means to get a refund. The device is then essentially not "as described", or "fit for purpose", etc.

As to whether that applies to you and whether you want to go to the trouble given the low cost...

6. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Well, doesn't that sound like bull-plop.
    It helps to do your research first, it's too bad they pulled the 'no exchanges' card on you,

Ask a Question